won't read dvd rw

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by shadob, Aug 10, 2005.

1. shadob

shadob Geek Trainee

Have a Pioneer dvr-104 with latest firmware updates downloaded. Running Windows XP Home Edition with 80gb harddrive. Pioneer will read and write dvd r just fine, does not recognize dvd rw, just keeps telling me to insert disc. Microsoft website says that dvd rw use a 16bit packet, as opposed to 32bit pactet for dvdr. Can anyone tell me how to (change setting, install this 16 bit packet, or anything else) that will let my machine read and write dvdrw? Thx for any help

2. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

small note is it on master or slave settings?

these are the way jumpers are arranged on the back of the drive, second from left is master, and one on left is slave

3. shadob

shadob Geek Trainee

This drive came with the machine, not installed by me. Have limited knowledge about jumpers, but can follow good directions. Would you give me more detail on where, how, exactly what to check. There are two cd/dvd readers and writers, but only the one writes dvds. When I do find the jumpers which one do I want it set for, master or slave? Also is there anything in settings that needs to be changed? Sorry to be such a dummie!
    Thx for your help

4. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

maybe you could try replacing the IDE cable or trying a different brand media!