Would you say something?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DavidNW, Aug 14, 2006.

1. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

There was a programme on TV today that focused on bad, irritating behaviour in public. The basic plot was that members of a TV crew would deliberately act in a selfish and inconsiderate manner in public places to the annoyance of people in their immediate vicinity.

For example, one girl took her socks off on a train and proceeded to rub and pick her feet – a guy talked very loudly on a cell phone in a restaurant, and on a train, he went through the entire repertoire of the rings tones of the said cell phone. There were other similar annoyances 'tested' on members of the public.

The object of all this was to test people's reactions as to the extent to which they would or would not complain to the perpetrators that their behaviour was annoying them.

The overwhelming majority of people did not complain at all, tolerating the inconsiderate behaviour or moving away from the scene altogether!

Several factors were flagged up as to why people were, apparently, so tolerant – they included the fear of being too embarrassed and or too scared to complain.

What would your reaction be in similar circumstances?

For the record, I'm afraid I would be very reluctant to complain.

2. Addis

Addis The King

Unfortunately I would probably be the same. I'm not one for complaining to strangers.

3. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

I feel that its just for couple of minutes then I will b on my way so why bothering.....

4. zeus

zeus out of date

I wouldnt move away from someone being annoying id happily get more and more pissed off with them then probably have an argument with a friend later on :)

I probably wouldnt complain either because of the risk of getting blown out of the water and made to feel embarrassed.
    Whereas if it was in quiet cafe or somewhere you pay to be I probably would say "shutup" in a nice posher than I actually am kind of way. If it goes wrong its up to the cafe manager to shut them up! Give the waiter a shout like Rik in the young ones "boring" episode.

Depends where you are though cos to be honest if your pissing someone off round here you will know about it in no time at all, you cant be embarrassed round here cos theres always someone to out do you with ease.

5. j0ker

j0ker Geek Trainee

Well, I am really tolerant of people, but depending on how long they did it, and where they were doing it at, I would say something nicely, and at the most, explain to him in a calm yet pissed off manner why I would like him to stop, but only if he continues. Truthfully though, that would be a lot for me to do, most of the time I'd just sit back and take it, or move away (unless maybe it's in a resturant, because I sure do like my food :p (and I'm fat either suprisingly)).