Wrong PSU

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Karanislove, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

The other day I bought the wrong PSU for my dell dimension 4400. PSU which I bought looks like
    [​IMG]

and the specifications which I have about this PSU is
    "DELL PROPRIETARY 230 WATT UPGRADE / REPLACEMENT POWER SUPPLY

This is a 230W Power Supply, top QUALITY and much QUIETER for the original Dell proprietary units. It is manufactured by one of the best power supply manufacturers.

Dell HP-P1457F3 substitute power supply for 0009228C, 00055079, 00055080, 00063517 00087346, 55079, 55080, 87346, 824KH, CN-08765D, HP-233SD, HP-233SNF, HP-233SS, HP-P1457F3, NPS-200P, NPS-200PB-123-A, NPS-200PB-123A, NPS-200PB-73, NPS-200PB-73 M, NPS-200PB-73-M, PS-5141-3D, PS-5201-1D1A, PS-5201-7D, PS-5201-8D2, TH-9228C and Others.
    "

But I was looking for a 20 + 4 pin PSU and this PSU doesnt have a 4 pin plug. I am just confirming if there is any wire extension which I can use to make this PSU work like 20+4 pin PSU.
    Thanks

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Are you talking about the main ATX power connector? Or the 4-pin auxillary plug (2x2 pin layout)?

3. Karanislove

[​IMG]

that plug which is on number 2. my computer doesnt have that square four pin plug. Is there any connector or something which I can use to make it working.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I've seen a 4-pin molex (the ones that you plug into your hard drives and optical drives) to -P4 4-pin adapter. You can probably get them at a local computer shop or on line pretty easily.

5. Karanislove

[​IMG]
    I ve found on the net but there is a confusion going in my mind that before it was coming from the PSU but according to this molex, I have to connect it with HDD or Optical drive. Can you please explain me what is it?

6. Karanislove

Edit: I mean My PSU doesnt have that square four pin plug.

[ot]
    I cant edit my previous posts. Why?[/ot]

7. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

da 4 pin molex connector comes from any connectroe that u connect to a hard drvie or cd rom nd im sure u must have at least 4 connectors so just connect it to dat nd da 4 square connectore goes on da mobo.

8. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

that takes a regular 4-pin molex off of your power supply that should normally run to an optical drive, hard drive or video card and runs two negative and two positive wires from that to a 2x2 plug that goes to your motherbaord

9. Karanislove

I got your point but my question is how this molex getting power and sending it to these drives. I mean before that 4Pin plug was coming out of my PSU, so I believe it must be providing some kind of power to the Mobo or something and I was connecting my optical drives directly with the PSU but according to this molex I am providing power to these drives from Mobo. I am bit confused. How is it possible? and if its possible than if I still be able to use PSU wires to connect these drives as I have more than 2 drives and I want all of them working. This molex only allowing 2 connections.

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The adapter is taking the 12V line (black is ground, and I believe that yellow is 12V---but I'm not 100% sure) and splitting it to the 2x2 plug. The Pentium 4's started to require more 12V juice, and this was Intel's solution. It's not a complex device. It's pretty much taking 1 wire and splitting it two ways and just having ground wires go with it.

I didn't see anything in the predefined permissions that would stop you from editing your posts, but let us know if it countinues to happen.

11. Karanislove

Does it provides power to the drives?

[ot]
    Yea I cant edit in my first two posts but on all the other ones.
    [/ot]

12. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yes.

13. Karanislove

Yesterday I bought a 4 pin square power connecter for my PSU. I attached it but it didnt work. The PSU was making some kind of Hissing noise. There was no life light on the Mobo. Is there anybody knows what can be the reason. Do I have got a faulty PSU?

14. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

First of all ,Does your motherboard have a place to plug this connection into..?
    If not just leave it off.. That connection is only for newer motherboards,,
    I just replace a power supply on an older HP with that same kind of
    a power supply. The 20/24 connection is the main connect for all motherboards.
    and most motherboards take the 20 pin, except for a few.. Compaq and some Gateway take the 24 pin... Anyway if you don't have this plugin,then just leave it off...

15. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'd certainly look to exchange it, seeing as it's brand new.

16. Karanislove

Its a second hand PSU but still I have sent a mail to that person and waiting for his reply.