X-BOX 2 Love x 3?

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by Big B, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If The Inquirer is right, Microsoft has three different X-BOX 2's set to come out. The really intresting part is that one would be a full-blown PC.

The presentation, understood to have been given to analysts and market researchers in the UK earlier this year, plots a timeline for the introduction of the systems. Xbox Next and Xbox Next HD are planned for Autumn 2005, whereas the Xbox Next PC is pencilled in for Autumn 2006.

I'm not sure what to make of this, but it's definitely a new marketing technique to the console gaming community. I'm thinking that we'll be seeing some very interesting mods coming from this, no doubt. Anyway, the full article is over here.

2. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

I can't see the PC one being too successful unless it's spec is awesome (which it probably will be), give that Windows will demand a lot of the console.

Plus the price will be outrageous, no doubt. I'm getting the Xbox 2, with a hard disk if it's below £400, and I'll use the extra cash to upgrade my PC.

Console for games, not web browsing, if you ask me.

3. Addis

Addis The King

Its predictable that MS would do this. Since the XBox was very much PC and i've seen some serious mods for it. I don't think the PC Xbox is going to sell well though. Its not going to be as powerful as a desktop and its only advantage is that it can play Xbox games. I can imagine many people modding a basic Xbox and turning it into a PC one if its possible.

4. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Hell, apart from the Restart button, the Xbox is built like a PC now...intel processor, nvidia gfx...hard disk...I'm fairly sure it has some RAM...typical Microsoft.

5. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

You can put linux on an xbox with a mech assault disc. The old mech assault xbox discs. A usb thumb drive adapter that enables you to slide a USB thumb drive into the xbox controller. You put mech assault in. Put the crack and linux on the USB drive, open it in mech assault.BAM! you've voided your warranty.

6. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

And probably completely screwed up your copy of Mech Assualt, no?

7. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I can see the reason for having a non and a HD version but the PC version I don't see why, maybe it will be better for mods etc?

8. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Nope! mech assault would be fine, the game just has a security hole! It only modifies stuff on your xbox hard drive, might wanna back up the xbox hard drive onto a working computer just incase you screw something up too :good:

9. Addis

Addis The King

It might be possible to get a basic X2 and add specific hardware to it. Probably be a haven for modders. I mean if you can install linux onto an Xbox and use it as a normal PC then it should be possible.

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. Modding will happen, no doubt about it.