X-Over of Straight Thru ???

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by sevenfold, Jan 30, 2005.

1. sevenfold

sevenfold Geek Trainee

Hi guys,

I have a Motorola SURFboard cable modem with a USB connection, and also an ethernet connection. In the manual is says I can use the USB for my PC, and then use the ethernet for another device. The question is, if I do this, should I use a straight through cable or a crossover cable to connect my "other device" to the ethernet port on my modem ?

Please Post All

2. Addis

Addis The King

I use an ethernet crossover to conect mine to my PC and I imagine this would work for any other device.

3. sevenfold

sevenfold Geek Trainee

Do u have your USB connected to ur PC ?

4. Addis

Addis The King

No I don't network any other computers so I just use the ethernet one.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

In the long term, it'd be safer to get or make a router. The reason I say this is because, unless you turn the PC or cable modem off, it's connected straight to the internet. There's nothing to stop someone from taking a look around. Additionally, this makes it easier to have more than 2-3 computers (if both USB ports and the ethernet port all can connect to another computer and work) hooked up and surfing safely. In short, my answer would be something else entirely. If memory serves, the DSL modem I'm hooked up to at the home network needed a crossover cable for a direct connection...but this isn't advisable, for security reasons.

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I second the what B's saying about the router wholeheartedly. It'll increase your security astronomically, and will actually simplify the ease-of-use for your network. They don't cost much, or you can even build your own out of old junk PC hardware.