x1600xt vs 6600gt

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Matt, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Matt

Matt Oblivion Junky

which will perform better

Sapphire RADEON X1600 XT or
    XFX GEFROCE 6600gt

both run 256 GDDR3 look pretty simmilar generally.

Keen for any opinions.

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

There's not a huge difference going on here but since it's the XT (higher clockspeeds) and not the pro on the ATI card it will win out in pretty much every test. But it would make sence as it's a newer card and designed to go up against 6800GS 7600 type cards (though it doesn't fare so well there).

3. Matt

Matt Oblivion Junky

r u seriously on dial up. Really soory man if u are coz i just got dsl and i suffered through dial up for years

4. Merlin

Merlin Geek Trainee

By looking at your current specs im guessing you are looking for a PCIe graphics card? Then choose the 7600GT over the 6600GT. Its hard to find a 6600GT now.

The X1600 XT nudges the 7600GT out in core speed, but generally has the same memory speed as the 7600GT. The X1600 XT is cheaper as well, but the relevance of this depends on your wallet size ;)

Personally I would go with NVidia as I always disliked the ATI drivers, but maybe there is a NVidia fanboy streak in me :D

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

The 7600GT will destory the X1600 series plain and simple, except for maybe HL2 and Sin Episodes. Otherwise it's the card to get if you have the cash. Best bang for the buck around.
    And yeah for the record I am on dial up dude, thanks for understanding, it really can be hell at times, especially when you're downloading and it's taking forever at like 2k per second (no joke) and then you're mom picks up the phone to call in some dumb order and you lose you're connection and it won't resume etc. *shudders*

6. Matt

Matt Oblivion Junky

so weve established that the x1600xt will outperform the 6600gt and that the 7600gt "destroys" the x1600xt. the 7600gt is out of my price range

What Would the nvidia equivilant be for the x1600xt?

can we say that the x1600xt is the middle ground bridging the gap(price and performance) between the 7600gt's and the 6600gt's?

Which the better brand to go for between sapphir and gecube

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah you might say the X1600XT is the happy medium between the two nVidia cards. You could check and see how much the 6800GS is going for but otherwise if you're set on the X1600XT brand matters little. There's no real brands that make crap cards since they pretty much just slap their name on ATI's of nVidia's work. Just look for the better bundle, if it comes with good games of if ones listed as Retail and ones listed as OEM (as in you get nothing but the card) go retail. If you're still in doubt go with Sapphire as they're pretty much ATI's biggest distributer.

8. Matt

Matt Oblivion Junky

what does the gs and gt and xt stand for for intrest sake

9. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

heh, they don't actually mean anything, it's just a way to confuse buyers into thinking that something with a cool sounding suffix is a better product. And a way keep the all current products under a similar grouping of their numbering system (as in the 6800 series). Though Personally I think it would be a lot easier if they just kept things easy for the consumer and said the nVidia 6000 is the lowend solution while the 6500 marks mid range and the 7000 is the big bad card in the high end but I guess that just isn't their style.

10. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Well, 6800 GT does sound better than 6800. Gives it that race bred, learned to walk in the pit lane at Sebring feel.

11. Matt

Matt Oblivion Junky

lol!

12. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Haha, I think you're on to something there Max.