X1600XT V's X800GTO²

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Clerk, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Clerk

Clerk Geek Trainee

Hi guys due to some ham-fisted PC maintenance I find myself looking to upgrade to PCI-e earlier than expected and on a budget. I have been browsing the hardware sites for a while now and wonder if anyone can provide benchmark scores for the two cards mentioned above. Any comparable info on these two would be helpful such as does the differing number of vertex shaders between these two result in a small or large performance difference?

P.S. I am currently using Athlon 64 3200, 1 gig pc3200 RAM and wil need to upgrade mobo (looking at Sapphire ATI Radeon Xpress 200P SKT939 ) any advice welcome, thanks in advance.

Clerk.

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

While I'd personally recommend the nVidia 6800GS or X850XT myself the X800GTO2 is definately the better card, it's 256-bit, gives you decent speeds with great overclocking headroom and it's designed to be modded into a X850XT I belive it is. The X1600 series really doesn't score too badly but the 128-bit interface hurts.

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

4. Clerk

Clerk Geek Trainee

Thanks a lot man, I had overlooked the bit- side of things.

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

No prob, hope you get the best you can afford. Cheers.

6. Clerk

Clerk Geek Trainee

Hi I wondered about the 6800GS you recommended these are 8 pipe cards, would they perform as well as the GTO?

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

The 6800GS is a 12 pipe card, it's got a 256-bit interface, 256MB's of GDDR3 vram, and 6 vertex shaders I belive. It's easily faster than anything on the list:good:

8. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

i wouldent say its easily faster than anyhting on the list, especially as tyhe x800gto2 can be modded to x850xt pe, and that card can beat down a 6800ultra, and all a gs is, when modded, is like a 6800ultra, there just doing like ati did (x800gto2=x850xt pe)

9. Clerk

Clerk Geek Trainee

Well I bought the X800 card from overclockers and was disappointed to see it was the blue pcb version with no power connector (different vpu not as overclockable as the originals) this was all the more troubling because I paid more for it than from ebuyer, my usual site, when ebuyer offered a better package. I got an ECS RX480-A motherboard which seems to be fine and fast enough for the price paid, if a little cramped, northbridge cpu slot RAM slots and PCI-e 16x slots are all a little too close together. When gaming on high settings, my system switches off, I reckon this is down to temperatures somewhere perhaps GFX card overheating.

Can any forum members help here the problem I have is that ECS did not supply any temp monitoring software for this mobo and the generic software I downloaded was not compatible (supported). Any link to suitable monitoring software greatly appreciated, thanx.

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

What power supply do you have? An inadequate one would explain this.

11. Clerk

Clerk Geek Trainee

I have an enermax PSU it's an older model rated at 350 Watts. Model number is EG365AX-VE(G). At the higher settings I can game for a short time then I hear a fan struggling then click...machine goes off.

As an aside does anyone know what the small white 4 pin male connector is for on this gfx card. It is positioned just behind where the female molex should be.

12. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I've seen some strange things going on with GFX card pins, most, in my experience just require a single molex 4 pin connector from your psu, but I've seen on an X800GTO a small four pin connector that wasn't molex, it looked like it required something similar to what you'd attach to a floppy drive (not the ribbon cable). I'm not sure if it was even a power cable it was just weird. I hope someone knows .
    Anyway I would say that sounds like a heat problem, I wouldn't rule power out, Enermax is a good brand but you said it was old and a fully loaded rig doesn't really like 350wt psu's anymore:( What sort of cooling do you have in place?

13. Clerk

Clerk Geek Trainee

I have 2x 8cm fans intake at front of case, 2 x 8cm exhaust fans at rear, 1 x 8cm fan on side panel intake onto gfx card the enermax PSU has 2 fans on it too. GFX cooling is stock but as I haven't modded the card at all I am expecting it to be sufficient. Thanks for ur swift reply.

P.S. At next sign of struggling fan I will press ear to case and identify which one!!
    P.P.S. You are describing exactly the 4 pin connector I was asking about C'mon Forum tech dudes what is it for??? Diagnostic port perhaps?

14. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Well it sounds like you've got some nice cooling. Assuming you got that card retail and they didn't provide you with any cable that would fit that particular connector then I can only assume it's not necessary.
    I guess we'll have to know exacty what it does before we rule it out though, can you post a pic of it in case anyone has any idea with seeing it?

15. Clerk

Clerk Geek Trainee

There was no cable that fitten in the OEM pack.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

According to sapphire forums this is a jumper for factory testing. Mystery solved!!!