X1900

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by max12590, Jan 27, 2006.

1. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Well, the new X1K series card is out. I got an email from Newegg with the X1900. The specs for the X1900XTX (the fastest of the line) are:
    650 Mhz Core Clock
    16 Pipes
    1550 Mhz Memory clock
    512 MB of GDDR3
    Well, this all sounds really pretty sweet. But what is the catch? Here is the catch: $649 (for the true ATI made card)

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It just came out, so I'm not surprised. However, there's a huge gap between the X1900's and the X1600's. The X1800 production has been officially cut off, and there's no mid-range solution, which is bad since the X1600 isn't all that impressive.

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Well it seems pretty good (48 shader units, nice!), but in reality it's not a massive improvement. It still lags far behind in OpenGL games like Chronicles of Riddick, Doom 3, and Quake 4. And yes one could argue that the Doom 3 engine, and those like it run better on nVidia card but you'd think the gap would be pretty much closed with this recent an update and those new ATI drivers that are supposed to help big time with OpenGL. maybe I just read a bad review?

4. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

the X1900 series is one big dissapointment, in most games the x1800 series is not far behind the x1900XTX
    people are better off buying the X1800XT, there selling for around £250 in some places and then there is X1900XTX that is going for around £399-£600

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I will give a nod to ATI for getting it out soon, though maybe too soon really. It did beat nVidia too the update encouraging sales and regaining a bit of respect for the really delayed X1000 series launch. Though I must say they haven't made any profound improvements since the X800 series.

6. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Well, first of all I try not to pass judgment based on sketchy reviews, so I won't. And as far as it selling for 600 Pounds, that is incredible. I cannot find anywhere that sells for that much, Dollars, Pounds, Euros, anything. 350 Pounds sounds a bit more accurate. And yes, nVidia still wins in OpenGL based games but all I play at this point is BF2 and it uses DirectX.

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Fair enough man, though on Newegg the X1900XTX goes for $650 which is totally ridiculous for the minor improvment over the X1800XT. I definatley respect ATI's midrange though. While the X1600's aren't the greatest the X700's, and X800's are so cheap these days they almost put everything but the 7800GT to shame at times. (though nVidia is certianly no slouch either in this field).

8. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea, there is almost no question that some of nVidia's new high-end stuff beats ATI's competition but in the midrange ATI has nVidia beat.

9. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I forgot about the 6800GS, no that's a good deal, as fast as the 6800GT which is a great card.