X1950 Pro AGP - Temps acting weird.

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Denic, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Denic

Denic Geek Trainee

Hello guys.

My X1950 Pro has always been a hot card. I've put new thermal paste on it a number of times and I never saw a temp change.

Today I decided to have another go of putting new thermal paste on again. So I unscrew the heatsync etc, put new thermal on, screw the thing back on and boot up. The temperatures are still the same (55c idle, 70-100c+ fully loaded)

I was playing a game and suddenly my PC crashed, my monitor went off and my GPU fan stopped. I rebooted my PC and the GPU fan still wasn't spinning so I put my finger in it and gave it a manual kick start so to speak and it began spinning again.

After that, my idle temps and loaded temps have been fantastic. 39C Idle 60ish fully loaded.

Maybe when I was putting the heatsync on I did something different. :S

Does anyone know what could have possibly caused this?

Thanks in advanced.

2. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

as you say, the fan is dodgy so maybe it wasnt working before, if thats the case i'd keep an eye on it.
    its also a possibility that there was a metal connection (or maybe an overflow of paste) between the copper heatsink and the circuitry, when the pc reset i presume this 'metal' peice removed itself and had a drastic effect with your pc (as it would do if you mess about with a paperclip on circuits).. maybe it was effecting the card chips to think it was working hotter, almost hard to believe but it is poss :)

ps, with thermal paste you only need less than a grain of rice amount on a spread the size of your thumb nail, i recommend artic silver 5