x800gt + new mobo

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Blacknights, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Blacknights

Blacknights Geek Trainee

Hi there, i've been using this card for the past year with out any issues. Recently i have upgraded to a new motherboard (asus p5k premium) and the only game i can get running without issues is Doom3, i have tried playing Rise of Nations and Far Cry and Quake 4 and world of warcraft, this issue does not happen when i insert the card back into the old motherboard.

I have updated all drivers for vid card & motherboard + chipset updates, reinstalled all the above mentioned games. Also a full reformat has been done. I dont seem to know where to start looking for support as well doom3 works fine, heck it even works un ultra mode now flawlessly.

And ideas on what i should do, or where i should start looking for answers?

Thnaks in advance;

Blacknights

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Welcome to HWF :)
    What issues do you have, exactly?

3. Blacknights

Blacknights Geek Trainee

Thanks for the welcome, cant belive i forget to write the issues, lol.

Issues that happen when i start those games are such.

Half life ep 1 = Game goes to loading screen and just stutters in a loop, animation jumps between frames 1-2 and sound just stutters also.

WoW = Game loads fine and everything, upon entering a world it stutters, i move the char up a bit or whatever and nothing, alt tab out and come back in and it shows that the movement has occured, also sound works fine in wow, if i press the appropriate keys it does what its supposed to.

RoN-RoL = Game load and run for 10 secs, then stuttering occurs, alt tab out and go back in and resumes for 5-10 secs and then stuttering occurs again.

The other games i have test are similar to half life in issues.

I tried putting an nvidia 8500 in the pc and well all games work fine, but i returned that card cause it wasnt a wise investment. Farcry still had issues in graphics in which it wouldnt load textures properly and would freeze at a certain point.

Again this card works fine in the old comp, so im guessing its not the card physically, but i dont know for sure.

4. RHochstenbach

Try this: Go to start > run and enter DXDIAG. If you see a question on the screen, then answer Yes. Go to the tab Display. Is the option 'Test Direct3D' greyed out? If not, then click on Save All Information. You can then save all DirectX information to a text file. Then post that file here, so I can analyse it.

5. Blacknights

Blacknights Geek Trainee

RHochstenbach, thanks for the quick replies, and all the help.

I have followed your steps and in the display tab and there is no test directx option,

here is the txt from the save file....i'll upload the txt file, as there is alot of text in there. also i'll include a screen shot of the dxdiag display screen (might help)

Attached Files:

6. RHochstenbach

Before you upgraded your motherboard, did you already ran Vista then (on the old mobo)?

7. Blacknights

Blacknights Geek Trainee

yeah, vista was present in the old system, things that i have upgraded were the mobo + ram + power supply.

*edit, i have also tried disabling the aero interface an running a clean boot (disabling all process's cept windows)

8. RHochstenbach

What kind of Power supply do you have (brand, type and total output)?

9. Blacknights

Blacknights Geek Trainee

10. RHochstenbach

Can you verify if the cable between the power supply and the graphics card is correctly seated on the card and the Power supply?

11. Blacknights

Blacknights Geek Trainee

the x800gt doesnt require a 4/6 pin power supply, all other power cords (mobo + hard drive and others are tight and stuff)

12. RHochstenbach

So you also upgraded your ram. Try to put the ram of your old mobo in the new mobo. And then see if the problem still exists.

13. Blacknights

Blacknights Geek Trainee

ahh, heres the things, the ram is ddr in the old mother board, this motherboard i am currently using is running ddr2 ram.

14. RHochstenbach

Your new motherboard supports DDR2-800 and DDR2-667 RAM types. Do you have any of these 2 types of RAM inserted?

15. Blacknights

Blacknights Geek Trainee

The ram i am using is DDR2-800,

heres a link if more info is needed " NCIX.com - Buy OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-12 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit - OCZ2G8002GK In Canada. "

*edit*

I have done ram tests on each individual stick, and have gotton no error's in the first 5hrs. Im guessing the ram is ok. Again i am confused as to whats going on with the vid card. New game that i found that works fine is quake4, a little on the slow side, but runs fine. I know doom3 and quake4 were made on the same engine, but i still dont understand why the other games ont work properly.

Im pretty sure is something as little as unchecking a box or something. Ooo, i have disabled vsynce and still this issue persists.

16. Blacknights

Blacknights Geek Trainee

Aight, still fiddleing around with stuff i've ben reading from on the net. And i am not making any progress.
    *just installed Dungeon Siege 2, and well it load and plays for 10 secs, i alt+tab out and then go back in for another 10 secs.

17. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

When you upgraded your mobo did u get a newer version of drivers for your vid card? If you did try installing the earlier version that is on your other rig and see if it helps.

18. Blacknights

Blacknights Geek Trainee

Hey, i'll try an older version of the drivers on the new comp, both of them are using the latest catalyst ati drivers.

I'm having doubts in which it might be the mobo no the vid card now....

19. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

Well to tell you the truth it doesnt sound like a vid card issue, I was just wondering as I've had something like that happen in the past.

20. Blacknights

Blacknights Geek Trainee

I have reverted back to an older set of drivers 7.4, and nothing. also have installed version 7.9 and well still nothing (have been using 7.8 since the new upgrades).