XBOX 360 Failure! Red Rings

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by BoBBYI986, Apr 3, 2009.

1. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Hi all today I traded about 4 of my old Xbox 360 games in and me and my girlfriend bought Street Fighter IV. Got home put the Xbox 360 on the game loaded fine no probs, picked my fighter Ryu Vs Ken game loads and before I could even fight the damn console freezes. Start it back up wait about 20 secs nothing, then all of a sudden three red lights. I thought damn this is just perfect just buy a new game and can't even play it. I figured it can't be heat issues because its only been on for less that 3 mins. I noticed on gears of war 2 my fps where pretty crap a few weeks back, noticed alot of fps loss. So im thinkin its graphics card failure also possibility it's ram isses but it could even be somethin simple like a failed cpu fan but I dont wanna open it up because it will void the warrenty. I phoned Xbox they are coming to pick it up and replace it. Have you guys ever come across this problem before if so what piece of hardware did you think failed. when you returned it to Xbox did they even tell you what failed?

cheers, bobby

2. Dartht33bagger

Dartht33bagger Geek Trainee

GPU solder balls broke from the heat of playing it.

The xbox has a bad airflow system. The GPU heats up so much that it warps the board over time. The BGA under the GPU will then crack and you will get the RROD.

You can fix it yourself. I have done it a few times myself. It didn't fix it for long but I have known people that have done the X-clamp fix and gotten their xbox working again for at least a year.

3. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

I see, So basically these Xbox 360's are just a tickin time bomb it's inevitable that they will go faulty. When I get my new Xbox 360 back I think I'm gonna water cool the CPU and GPU therefor that should stop it from going faulty due to heat. what do you think is it worth doing? becaue I've heard XBOX aint bringing out a new console until 2012 so Im planning on keep it for a good three years.

4. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

I was thinking of buying this kit to watercool it. Cool and Quiet I've never done water cooling before, so would need some advice, I can fit the waterblock no problem. Just need someone to correct me in what im going to buy.

Im going to buy the waterblock Cool and Quiet

Radiator: Cool and Quiet

Hose tail x4: Cool and Quiet

Clear Hose: Cool and Quiet

PVC Hose Clip x4 http://cool-and-quiet.co.uk/Water_C...inch)/PVC_Hose_Clip_3/4_inch_OD_::_Black.html

Coolant: http://cool-and-quiet.co.uk/Water_C...nductive_Coolant_(32_oz[dot])_Steel_Blue.html

is that basically it? is that all i need or am i missing somethin? am i missing a resevoir and a pump or does the radiator do it all?

The way i think it works is: Install waterblock, there is an inlet and outlet nozzel on the waterblock, connect one piece of pipe to the inlet on the waterblock and to the outlet on the radiator and then connect another piece of pipe to outlet on the waterblock and to the inlet on the radiator? is that it? or am i missing somethin?

2x hose tail is for the water block?
    2x hose tail for the radiator?
    2x hose clips for waterblock hose tails?
    2x hose clips for radiator hose tails?

If i do need a resevoir/pump will this do? i will also need more hose clips?
    http://cool-and-quiet.co.uk/Water_C..._Pumps/XSPC_Laing_DDC_Top_with_Reservoir.html

cheers bobby

5. Dartht33bagger

You could get this complete kit for watercooling made for the Xbox 360:Xbox 360 Complete Kit, Black [06mm, 1/4" ID] - Water cooling systems, pc liquid cooling kit, cpu, video card, hard drive

I have never water cooled mine, so I can't help you there.

The jasper Xboxes are out now which have 65 nm GPU's and CPU's so it runs much cooler. Best bet would be to get one of those and mod that.

I'm sure with air cooling you could get it running great. You would want to buy the stuff I post below and follow the tut below. X-clamp fixing it from day one should prevent the board from warping. Plus the arctic silver and upgraded fans should keep it cool. On top of that the X-clamp fix would transfer heat into the bottom of the case.

You would also want to do the fan shroud mod. I haven't ever been able to find a tut for it but it's very useful. What you do is put a piece of cardboard or some other material like that on the top of the heatsinks so that it forces the air to be sucked through the heatsink all the way.

Tallismoon whisper fans:The Llamma's Game Console Parts and Accessories

XCM core cooler:The Llamma's Game Console Parts and Accessories

X-clamp fix tut:Xboxexperts.com Xbox 360 Repair/Modding - Team HYBRID's Ultimate X-Clamp Fix

This is a great website to go for help. It has forums and everything to help you. I'm a mod and an admin there so look out for me:360-Hq.Com

6. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

Hi, I also got the RROD a month ago. I live in Fiji so I ordered some parts from LLAMMA. I still have to clear some issues for them to deliver.

Well basically, the xbox 360 as you said is a time bomb. After awhile, it will give you the RROD which is REALLY frustrating.

I havent done water-cooling to the 360 but id definitely would love to learn about it.

I would recommend buying a PS3 instead.

7. Dartht33bagger

The only problem is the 360 has so much better of everything else.

8. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

hi guys, I've also read the PS3 is just as bad at the xbox 360, it has high failure rates, a few friends of mine their PS3's have failed (blue ray drive failure) so really they are as bad as each other. Yea I would agree with Darth33bagger the xbox 360 has alot more going for it, more games etc, apparently its a better performer than the PS3.

Non of these consoles are built to last anymore, they use crap components. Back in the day I never had any problems with my old skool consoles: Sega Mega drive, Snes them consoles just run forever its the same with PC motherboars. just shows you how it's just all about money these days not quality.

9. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Hi guys, just checked my xbox 360 repair status it now has a new serial number along with an additional 2 year standard warrenty so altogether I now have 5 year warrenty, so I take it they are sending me a new xbox 360 or is it refurbished?

10. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

I think refurbished.

I fixed my x360 myself following the llamma.com xbox360 repair guide. Now I want to get the Talisman Fan for my x360. So that it stays cooooool.

11. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Slightly off topic [ot] I think that none of you should have to be buying parts or working on your stock Xbox's at all - I thought that M$ said they would fix all RROD's no matter what age or how many times it has changed hands? Power to the people! [/ot]

12. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Hi, yea they sent a refurbished one. Didn't even work when i plugged it in lol. I knew it was something to do with powersupply. So i cleaned the pins numerous times still didn't work. Then in the end I had to unplug it from the mains and plug it back in and it worked WTF?? I can tell its been taken apart because they havn't even put the case back correctly. shows you how these clowns just give you any crap refurbished console with the case not even properly fitted and send it back to you with one months free xbox live.

13. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

Yup, they send refurbished one for everyone because I have never heard anyone getting a brand new replacement. It will last a year maybe then it will give you the RROD again. But you got new warranty & stuff so you dont have to worry.

I live in Fiji, when my 360 had the RROD (it was already a refurbished one when I bought it with no warranty), I asked the company if they could arrange with Microsoft to get it fixed. They said I need to create an account with XBOX Australia & I need an Australian address.

I didnt know anyone in Australia. I thought that if I could flash my x360, I could fix it !!

So since I had no chance either way, I followed the llamma.com guide. Sent money to them through Western Union, got my parts within 2 weeks. Followed the guide & I fixed my x360 myself. I hope it will not give me the RROD anymore.

Now back to gaming......umm back to work actually :(

14. Dartht33bagger

It has come back both times I did it to my xboxes. So don't get your hopes up too much, it will come back at one point.

Best thing to do is buy a new xbox and put the X-clamp fix on right away so that it will prevent any of the flexing.

15. jonmcp87

jonmcp87 Geek Trainee

when mine got the RROD (error 0102), i did the xclamp fix and it's been working fine ever since, and that thing is on for several hours every day in a warm room :) done that with three consoles now.

mind you, i once tried to fix one that had error 0102 using the xclamp fix, and it didn't work. however, the error after the fix was 0020! still faffing with that one...

i agree with bobby with regards to the ps3, my brother's blu-ray player died on that. he cleaned the lens, which worked a couple of times before it went completely, so there's no real hardware difference. xbox has a better line-up of games too. my ps3-owner friend agrees that xbox has a better online experience, if you're into that.

16. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

I also have a 360 issue. The irony is that i bought it 14 months ago, only ever played it a couple of times due to my addiction to warcraft.
    Then 2 months ago i moved house and didnt have the internet for 4 weeks so i started playing my 360. It died after just over 3 weeks of solid use.
    MS said a free refurb would only occur if i had RROD and/or error code 74. Which is a bummer really as i have error code 79.

At what point do microsoft admit that their console is flawed. Even with a 12 month warranty, there should be some sort of written legislation that a product has to have some sort of fair lifespan. 14 months for a console is shocking and the fact that there is known issues with it. They should give a 3 year warranty as a goodwill gesture.

My xbox now makes a handy doorstop when both outside doors are open. As for me i'll stick with my trusty gamecube from now on. Never let me down and i still have about 50 games for it.

17. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Let me take my admin hat off for a moment while I troll a bit! :D

The RROD is typical of Microsoft engineering. I have a PS3 and a 1st-gen Wii. Neither box has crashed, hung, failed to start, or so much as stuttered since I bought them. I also have 6 computers in the room with me, and not a single one runs Windows. That in mind, I haven't had the words "malware", "crash", "defragment" or "reinstall" in my vocabulary since the last time I had a Windows box. Seems to me that cutting Microsoft out of your tech diet will lead to a much less troublesome existence.

-AT