Xbox portable?

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by Exfoliate, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

With Nintendo holding it's head high in the portable department for years and Sony's PSP doing very well in sales I'm fairly surprised there's been no rumors of an xbox protable of sorts. If they could pull off a dual analog stick device with a competitive design and impressive specs I imagine they'd get people excited. What do you guys think?

2. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

It would be a portable system war just like the current console war. Xbox would have like one or two exclusive titles that people would just raaaaaaaaave about even though they're subpar in their genre (yes i'm talking to you halo2) and psp would have...well in this case, what WOULD it have? man psp games are all just ports. and who needs Universal Soldier on UMD...seriously ..no one does. I say make the Xbox portable, maybe that'll force sony to make good original games for the PSP or some decent sequels that don't run on the exact same engine/premise as the original (yeah GTA liberty city stories i'm lookin at you). and on a side note, i've gotta say the only port i approve of for PSP is street figther alpha 3, i can't get tired of that game....

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Well the PSP has some nice games out there, Pursuit force looks nice, and apparently the makers of God of War are cooking up something for the PSP so that ought to be a winner. But yeah some more competition from the same league would help as the DS is really nothing like the PSP (and I don't mean that in a negitive way).

4. Biofreak101

Biofreak101 Geek Trainee

No, like everyone says "Xbox is computer in console's clothing" and i doubt theyd figure out a way to put 40-50 lbs of hardware and tech into a portable 6-3 lbs system. Really... Consider these things, aaaaand, Halo is not "Sub par," The story was great, and the physics where okay and its an exelent shooter. Not in any way "Sub par" It would seem the only "Sub par" in this thread is Your judgement

5. beretta9m2f

As a first person shooter it falls short- If its trying to be an "arcade" style fps, Quake and Doom do that way better. If its trying to be a combat experience, Battlefield does that WAYYYY better. I'll need more than "ok physics" to make me enjoy an otherwise boring shooter. What exactly makes it an excellent shooter? Its "spot on" aiming? The floaty physics? Taking multiple headshots to kill? Unbalanced weaponry? Shitty vehicle controls? or is it the simplistic gameplay that makes it excellent? I'll bet the only fun you've had with halo was with friends, in which case you probably have cool friends. Cool friends make any multiplayer fun. If you honestly think the lame singleplayer stacks up to Call of Duty or FEAR then you're nuts. But, hey, to each his own. And please, don't act like you get royalties for Halo, if you enjoyed the game thats fine, if you want to defend it thats fine, but no point in saying my judgement is subpar. I'm just saying, in its own category it gets stomped by many other games :Call of duty 2, FEAR, Doom 3, Half Life 2, Rainbow Six 1-3, Medal of Honor, there are probably more i've played but can't even remember. Does it suck? no, but it is entirely too over rated by Xbox owners as the best FPS.

6. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

Halo had an amazing story unlike some fps games it was awesome.
    Halo 2 concentrated more on the graphics wow factor and lost the plot a bit for single player. As a multiplayer game on the xbox it was unrivalled (well maybe kungfu chaos challenged). Used to have 16 players and 8 tv's once a week round different peoples houses and play team deathmatch. as a gaming and social tool Halo 2 rocked.

Will Microsoft bring out a handheld??

I doubt it very much

7. Biofreak101

Biofreak101 Geek Trainee

Halo 2, is not trying to be "arcade" shooter, its trying to be a well thought out, generaly "Fun" shooter. And Well yeah I have to admit that Halo 2's story was one hell of a dissapointment and I'm thinkin' Bungie mighta realised that by now. But yes, the story was short. Halo, however had an exelent story and the gameplay was exelent. Halos weapons where *slightly* unbalenced but the Halo 2 weapons are well balenced and fun to play. The two character's you can play with however arent quite that balenced, being that the head of the sparten Is quite a bit smaller than the Elite's head being much larger and eazy to hit.
    And... Because your an idiot and dont realise this allready, Doom 3, and F.E.A.R. are supposed to be survival horror games, but F.E.A.R's more of a shooter i guess, but not better than Halo 2, and maby not worse. Quake 4, well I haven't played that yet and from what I've seen it's not exelent either. Call of Duty 2... Came out after Halo 2, so they where able to look at the faults of the game and seal them in with something new. It also doesn't have rag doll physics, which tends to be a plus in my book, still a great game. On to HL2... Well half life two has increadable game play, the best physics in ANY game so far, and has a great story, easily the biggist threat in the halo dominated world. Halo 2's story was... Coulda been better, but its real strength is in multiplayer. If you dont know this allready, people buy Xbox live, JUST so they can play halo with their freinds. And the lan partys are cool too, Although I've only been to one... Its easily the best part of halo 2.

8. beretta9m2f

HAH! So basically in your book Halo 2 is the best FPS ever and all other games just fall short. Well you're entitled to your bias. And yes, the THEME of Doom 3 and FEAR is survival horror, but the games are clearly shooters, a plasma gun and rocket launcher with plenty of ammo?? Sounds like a shooter to me. I'm not going to bother going back and forth with the name calling- high school was over years ago so have fun with Halo and in the future post with some maturity and maybe you'll be taken seriously.

Regards,
    Beretta9m2f

9. Biofreak101

Biofreak101 Geek Trainee

Running so soon are we? I never said halo 2 was the greatest. I was simply putting out the faults of other games so you would take those into consideration. Dumbass.

10. beretta9m2f

Running would involve caring, from this point on its simply ignoring.

11. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

While we're on with it if you havent checked out project snowblind then please do. Not a rival to Halo 1+ 2 but a bloody good effort.

12. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah that looked like a good game, got some solid reviews and is pretty cheap these days. Thanks for the reminder.
    Not to stray to far off topic but I'd just like to add my 2 cents. I enjoy the Halo series, they're not the best games I've ever played, and they're not my favorite shooters I've ever played. But I definatley enjoy the experience. The thing that, in my book, helps them to be a lot of fun, is that you can play them with whatever style you choose. It can easily be a run and gun game, it can be very tacticle thanks to some pretty impressive AI (especially for 2001 with Halo) that becomes more evident on higher difficulty settings, or it can fall somewhere inbetween depeding on your mood.
    Other games have the shooter formula a little more realized perhaps but it's a very good game in my opinion and it was quite innovative with it's recharging health. Sticky grenades are extremely satasfying to use and I personally felt the vehicles were a great addition. But that's me and I don't want to get too into this as it's not really what the threads about.
    I'll just leave it at this, if MS wanted to get into the portable market they easily could, the PS2 was scaled down to make the PSP, which, hardware wise, is very similar, the only really difference is Sony underclocked the processor 111Mhz to increase battery life. I belive it's entirely possible to make an Xbox portable, I'd be pleased so long as it had 2 analog sticks.

13. Biofreak101

Biofreak101 Geek Trainee

Lol, take an Xbox Controler S (Small V.) Enlarge the center area, and stick an lcd screen in the middle :p, I've taken several of those controlers appart and if they spent less on the sensitivity of the triggers and more time on playability and graphics, they could easily fit some Hard Ware in there. :)

Edit: And the two slots in the back... Top one for Games, botom for WI-Fi thingermajiger or somethin better.

14. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

heh, yeah I've seen mock-ups of that same idea, though it probably wouldn't feel too good in the pocket and they'd somehow have to integrate a flash based drive or something in there it's a cool concept, I especially like the slot idea:good:

15. Biofreak101

Biofreak101 Geek Trainee

16. Addis

Addis The King

OK, I guess I should probably say something in this thread because it seems to have got out of hand.

This is a discussion forum, debates are acceptable, but personal attacks are not acceptable. This means that comments like
    is not acceptable.
    Neither is that.
    and especially not that. We don't cater to elitist attitudes, be mature about debates and not turn this into a flame war. We respect people's opinions, but express it in a polite way.

17. Biofreak101

Biofreak101 Geek Trainee

Was out of hand. Not anymore.