xp home edition activation

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by hdfk, Jan 21, 2006.

1. hdfk

hdfk Geek Trainee

just installed home edition on my computer and it says that it needs activation in 30 days. i have copyed the system 32 for my old comp do you no what file i have to replace to bypass the activation for my new build. my new build is :
    AMD 64bit 4400+ x2
    2GB ram
    550GB maxtor
    Asus nvidia 7800 gtx 256mb sli pci e 16x
    Asus a8n 32 sli deluxe

Cheers

2. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Just use the serial key from the other installation :).

3. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I am really opposed to activating software. If I've shelled out £60 odd quid for Windows, why should I have to activate it? It's just wrong!

I don't want Microsoft snooping inside my computer :mad:

Thankfully, there a loads of tools on the internet to help you remove the 'product activation'. I would love to give you a link, but Big B and Anti-Trend would probably give me a slap :D

4. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Please do not take this personaly but so they should! Product activation is the only way for software makers to try and combat piracy. If you bought the product what is the problem of activating it? It is just a way of insuring that you are the rightful owner of the copy.

I oppose activation removal tools, hacks, patches and cracks. If you do not want to go through activation, get open source or freeware programs where you can choose to register or not.

Also, if you do not want Microsoft to snoop in your box... do not use Microsoft... As you know full well there are very good alternatives who do not care what you do with your system.....

5. megamaced

Guilty until proven innocent! That's the message Microsoft is putting out with it's product activation.

Besides, I have already moved to Linux :)

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

[ot]
    Wow, that was quick! *claps* Guess you're smarter than I am, I dual-booted for almost a year before I fully converted.[/ot]

7. megamaced

[ot]
    Hehe, that's not entirely true :p

What I meant to say was that one of my computers is devoted to Linux use....[/ot]

8. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

If you are holding a legit copy, you do not need to bypass the activation.
    One of the options is to activate the product on the phone.
    Phone the activation line and get it activated using the original product code.
    If any eyebrows are raised just say you had to rebuild your system and therefor had to reinstall Windows.

Unfortunately as I understand it, the product key you hold is a single user license which means you can only install it on the one copmuter.
    As it is essentialy the same computer there should be no problem.....

Good luck!