XP install on a Linux computer

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by DavidNW, Nov 1, 2006.

1. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Hi, all.

Have just been given a computer with Linux already installed. Linux is on the primary hard drive - the computer has a second hard drive - is it possible to install XP on that second hard drive without affecting the Linux installation on the primary drive in any way?

I'm thinking that I would have to go into BIOS to set the boot order if I wanted to boot straight into XP. This would not be a problem as XP would only be used rarely.

I'm assuming that XP would not install a boot menu option so when you startup the PC you can boot into Linux or XP. Basically, I don't to screw up the Linux installation but have XP on the machine for occasional use.

2. zeus

zeus out of date

If you dont want to screw up Linux id just disconnect the Linux HDD whilst you install XP 'just in case!'

TBH the worst that could happen is that the MBR of the your Linux drive will be changed.

Im only saying this because I put Ubuntu on a second drive in this PC and now both drives have Grub installed! XP might do the same to Grub.

Then just press F8 (or whatever) upon boot to select which drive to boot from.

3. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

the best way is to setup a dual boot, or you could enter BIOS and change the boot order to the other HDD (it works but its not the "correct" way of doing it (very crude)

to add to what zeus said: you only need to disconnect the HDD's power (molex connector)

BTW: you forgot to add "[/quote]" to the end of the quote

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

While it's not free, you might consider setting these two drives up in a removable bay. The housing unit would fit in your 5.25" bay, but you'd put each drive in a caddy and switch them out when you wanted to use the other OS. Of course, you'd have to power the system off, but this would keep each OS very independent of each other.