XP Repair

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by daisycutter, Jul 18, 2006.

1. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

hello,

i want to reinstall xp on a computer without losing all the data on it, so i want to use the repair option.

however, when i get to the part where it asks what volume of windows i want to repair i type 1. no problems. then it asks me for admin password, which im not sure what it is as i ve removed all passwords for all users on the computer?

anyone got a clue?

2. Addis

Addis The King

Its quite misleading. When you boot from the XP CD and get the first menu, you have to press enter to install windows. Then choose the partition your current install is on.

The installer will detect that XP is already installed, then you press R to do a repair install.

3. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

yeah thanks, just worked that out myself, when i was about to reinstall windows in frustration, when i was greeted by the option to repair the fu*ker!

so if thats how to access the repair mode of xp install program, what is the first 'repair' option do?

4. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

copy and repair any individual files.

5. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

The repair option loads up the Recovery Console, where you can enter commands and manually fix a broken system.

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

you can reinstall XP without destroying data, just select option to leave FS intact (as is, donĀ“t format)

7. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

thanks for the tips, il know what to do next time!

8. Baris

Baris Geek Trainee

First repair option takes you to the recovery console. You can perform a repair installation via the recovery console too. Recovery console allows you to perform advanced, hardcore repairs in the system. Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console you can have an idea about recovery console there. Very useful indeed.