xp service pack 2

Discussion in 'General Software' started by JAY, Aug 8, 2005.

1. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

i was wondering whether service pack 2 is better than service pack 1...i think i heard rumors that sp2 still wasnt upto date..please advice thanks

2. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

theres no better or worse, each pack contains an amount of updates for windows, its best to have both

JAY likes this.
  3. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

why does some people say that sp2 has destroyed a good operating system, and is a total headache?

4. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Because they don't know much. A service pack is simply a pack of all the updates released up until that point, often with a few new features (this being all but quoted from Microsoft's own MCDST certification textbook). Basically, Service Pack 2 added some bogus security accessibility features. It is always a good thing to have the newest service packs. Oh yea, it also added the Wireless Zero Config Util, a nice feature.

5. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

actually most of the time installing the SP2 buy itself seriously downgrades performance but if you slipstream SP2 with XP and then install windows fresh you should have no worries at all!

6. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

i installed windows xp sp2, i do notice that windows is better now i have sp2 on.

7. pelvis_3

your one of the lucky ones i think, me and three others with completely different configurations installed SP2 and it stuffed ours computers! had to re-install!

8. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

You can solve that problem by using Task Manager to find the new service that is hogging RAM/CPU cycles and remove it. But its kinda too late for that now.

9. pelvis_3

i tried that at first but everything was perfect in the CPU and RAM department, the problem was that windows took 5mins to load, internet wouldnt work even with windows firewall turned off, everything was just slow and sluggish!

10. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

i just installed SP2 n i did notice how slow it was..compared to SP1..anyother way to make windows load faster?

11. pelvis_3

I couldnt find a way around that when i had SP2, but there is a program called Startup Faster that helps on load times!
    AT your own risk: you could go into C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch and delete all files in the Prefetch folder only and then do a defrag and restart!
    (ive never had any problems with prefetch deletion but it does reduce load times quite a bit!)