XP System Registry File - missing.

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by DavidNW, Jun 22, 2006.

1. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Hello, everyone.

Over the last month or so, I have had the following message after POST at the XP splash screen: "Windows has recovered a missing registry file by using a replacement log or alternative means. The recovery was successful." (or words very much to that effect).

I have tried an upgrade/repair install via my XP disc on several occasions, but this does not eliminate the occasional problem, as mentioned above.

I would add that I have only had these problems since I have been running Avast! Version 4.7 Home and CCleaner. 1. Would these two be likely to cause such problems? 2. Are there any other reasons for the error that come to mind?

I have run CHKDISK after the error message has come up on screen, but it reports back that 'the volume is clean.'

Cheers,

Dave.

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

try backing up your registry, then restore registry with the back up you just made, and post the results

3. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Of the two programs you mentioned, CCleaner is most likely to be the cause.

Apart from that error message, is your computer running OK?

4. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Yes, Mega.

The PC seems to be running okay apart from that mentioned. I would add (for reference), that I have since reinstalled XP on a 'reinstall/repair option. I had previously just inserted the XP CD into a running PC to try to fix the problem.

What I perhaps did not realise - was that what I actually needed to do, was insert the XP CD and boot from it in order to do a proper 'reinstall/repair' (which seems to have fixed the problem).

I have found out - to my cost - that simply inserting the XP CD into a running machine will only present you with two options - which are:

"Upgrade" or "New Installation" (or words very much to that effect!).

In short, a reinstall/repair must be done only by booting directly from the XP CD, and not by just merely inserting the XP CD into a running machine - where you will be only presented with options to "Upgrade" or "Install new XP" (or words to that effect).

I think I have sorted things now, as I have had several restarts without any error messages since I reinstalled Windows directly from the bootable CD method. I'll let you know how things go over the next few days - but all seems well so far.

Cheers, anyway - thank you all for your time and effort. It's what makes HWFs the best - because people are always willing, to not only offer help, but to give empowerment and confidence to people to troubleshoot problems for themselves.

Dave.