XP unpatched= Hacked in 4 min.

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Anti-Trend, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

According to a recent article on USATODAY.COM, it takes an average of four minutes for an unpatched version of Windows XP to be compromised by an internet-bourne worm. (It takes a lot longer than that just to download the appropriate patches!) Here's a link to the actual arcticle - enjoy! :good:

For additional info on security and safe networking practices, check out our Networking & Security FAQ.

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

SHOCKING! -sarcasm.

3. Anti-Trend

I know, really blows one's mind, doesn't it? :p Next thing you know, they're gonna be telling us that Mac/Linux/BSD/Unix are all more secure than Windows! I thought "A secure login always begins with 'Alt+Ctrl+Del'[tm]"? :chk:

4. ninja fetus

they can't be more secure than windows! but windows can log on two users at a time! that means its better! and what about norton antivirus?1 its good!!!

5. Anti-Trend

In all seriousness though, simply having a router between vulnerable Windows systems and the Internet can make all the difference. The system can still be easily compromised by doing something as simple as browsing the Internet, but at least it won't happen automatically. That way you can at least have enough time to patch the system to its latest revision, and install anti-virus and anti-spyware software.

6. ninja fetus

Well, one of my friends is convinced he doesn't need a router for a firewall. He's got McAffee! It's a wonderful firewall according to everyone else but me! And he has norton antivirus so he won't get any viruses!!

I say, that's why you've installed windows more times than youve hit the power button?

7. Anti-Trend

Well, a false sense of security can lull people into inaction. People complain about spam, but typically don't realize that their own system could be bulk-mailing their whole continent right under their noses!

8. ninja fetus

its funny how some ppl get spam blocker programs for web based emails!

9. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Well it would make sense if you had access to install one on the webmail server, however as a standard user then yes, that is useless really.

As for the subject of protection, i have a router on my server which controls all network / anti-virus and network scanning and most maintenance on machnies on the network (at home).

It's funny because i have 7 or 8 machines at my house, a few of them don't work or arn't worth running, but none the less I do enjoy trying to hack into my own system once i have latest updates e.t.c from my dad's business connection. Espeically using linux. :good:

Gives u a good insight.

10. Anti-Trend

You can't truly protect yourself against attacks if you don't know how they work, now can you? :nin:

11. Addis

Addis The King

4 minutes? Thats nothing special. My Duron system took around 2 mins to be hit by blaster. I was in the process of d/ling anti-virus updates and a firewall when that happened.
    The sasser got my system the day A and B were released. A was the hardest to get rid of.

12. Anti-Trend

Well, they did say "an average of four minutes", meaning many were infected even sooner than that... Besides, getting hacked by some brainless worm is not something to be proud of. :p

13. Addis

Addis The King

Oh is it not? Damn i thought it was a good thing :D

14. Anti-Trend

Well, it could be. If you're using your Windows box for a petri dish :D