xp/vista directx9/10

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by edgar, Oct 16, 2008.

1. edgar

edgar Geek Trainee

Hi all,

Dumb question but due to PhD have pretty much been out of it for 5 years or so playing on an ancient rig that can do mid quality settings on CoD2, painkiller, unreal tournament 2004 etc.

Getting a new rig for x-mass end of PhD and still quite like a few of the old games like CoD TOCA race driver and even KOTOR. I have also recently read about some old games that look like fun such as Dark Messiah.

My question is are there patches outt here for older games to play on a new vista 64bit rig with a HD4850, Q6600 and I am unsure about directx9 vs 10, should I just stick to 9 for now or do I have to switch between them when I want to play brand new stuff like farcry2 and/or crysis. I don't even know how to switch between them or if you can, so keep answers simple please.

2. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

I would think twice before installing a 64-bit system regardless of game functionality. 64-bit systems have problems with old and even new games. Also, software that you'd like to install must be 64-bit and some companies just don't offer that yet so it's tough.
    When it comes to games and software they might or might not run; your playing a game of luck really (trust me, i've had a 64-bit OS). There arent such things as patches to run 32-bit games on a 64-bit system.

From what i've read DX10 does have some detail improvement so if you have the RAM to run Vista (atleast 2 gigs) i'd go for it. 32-bit that is.

3. edgar

edgar Geek Trainee

Does it really make that much difference about what 'bit' version of Vista you have, people regularly talk on here about if you are starting fresh then you may as well get vista as its only a matter of time before games and stuff wont run on XP and in all the rig discussions having 64bit to allow use of more than 2gig of memory is usually recomended. This seems a contradiction to me. I don't have any brand new games, e.g. crysis etc yet but have brought games since Vista came out and never have I seen recomended specs specifying eitehr 32 or 64bit os versions..on any game box...

4. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

5. edgar

edgar Geek Trainee

Thanks for the link its helpfull.

With such an old rig, and ancient printer that was utter crap even when I brought it, I guess I will stick with 64bit. I mainly want the computer for games, and can still use the old one for old favourites, even if it struggles even with them. I would expect by now most new release games will run 64bit and as I havn't bought any yet I can double check the xmass list before hand. I do very little but use word, surf, and play games on my PC so hopefully shouldn't come across too many problems, I guess i'll have to wait and see.

6. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Cool i hope it works out for you. That link specifies that Vista 64 does a pretty good job with games and software so it should work out for you ;)