XP will not boot

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by bennyfr, Jul 2, 2009.

1. bennyfr

bennyfr Geek Trainee

My desktop is about a year old. Two weeks ago it started not booting every once in a while. Last few days it will not boot at all.
    Spec:
    Shuttel XPC with Intel P4 dual core 2.66 and 2 GB memory DDR2 667.
    HDD is WD1600AAJS (SATA 2)
    I bought it barebone and installed the CPU, DISK, MEM, etc. a year ago.
    I have formatted the disk using the WD CD that came with it and then installed XP.

On the rare occasion it will boot, everything looks OK. When I boot using the windows XP CD and I go into recovery console, I am able to access the files on the disk just OK.
    I tried already chkdsk /p and /r, I did bootcfg, fixboot and it looks OK. I did not do fixmbr since I got a message saying that my MBR is not standard. I ran a full diagnostics test of the WD data lifeguard diagnostics I downloaded from the website and it found no error.
    It will get stuck if I boot from the WD data lifeguard tool CD I got with the drive, and in the case where it did boot from the drive normally, the same WD software complained that the drive is not configured for more than 128 GB and I can see that the partition that I have created using the same software indeed shrank to 128 GB.
    Any idea how to fix it?

2. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

heyy just a quick question about your problem can you boot in safe mode?

Dave :cool:

3. bennyfr

bennyfr Geek Trainee

No it will not get to the windows boot selection. It will go pass the HDD and try to boot from network.

4. bennyfr

bennyfr Geek Trainee

I found a workaround for my problem:
    I created an "ultimate boot CD" and from the main menu, I select "boot from first drive" and I get in windows normally!
    This means something about my problem (MBR? boot sector? BIOS?) not sure.