xp will not install?

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Stinger, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Stinger

Stinger Geek Trainee

Hi

I am trying to format a friends computer. I have formateed mine like 10 times over the past couple years and it is a breeze. this computer now that i want to format is a pentium III 900 and some MHz.
    -I put in windows xp cd
    -go to bios and boot from cd
    -set up windows xp option
    -format the partition with ntsf

Then it reboots the computer and it starts that same process all over again???
    this is serious because the person uses this computer everyday for school and i can't get the windows xp installed?

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Once your hard drive has been formatted and system files copied, you are supposed to take out the CD and reboot the computer. Windows will boot from the hard drive and ask you to insert the CD to continue with the installation

3. Addis

Addis The King

If you're having problems with XP formatting, try booting from a bootable floppy (make sure that format.exe is also included on the disc) and try formatting with that. Use format.exe C:

4. Stinger

Stinger Geek Trainee

Thanks so much i will go try that now :) and i will let ya know

5. Stinger

Stinger Geek Trainee

It is fixed. the computer wouldnt dected the HD so thats why it kept booting from cd. i went into bios and set the harddrive to auto and xp is installing right now :) thx guys