Yay

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by gazaway, Jan 8, 2008.

1. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

Hey guys,

It's finally tax return time, so I think I'm going to rebuild my rig. I've been running off of this old hardware for way too long so it's definately time for an upgrade. Since I usually give you guys advice on hardware you choose I'd like to show ya'll what I plan on building. This is going to be completely value and downgrades because I just don't need all that much. But here's what I'm thinking:

Video Card: GIGABYTE GV-NX88T256H GeForce 8800GT 256MB - Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-NX88T256H GeForce 8800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
    Amazing budget card, will play all the games I want to play brilliantly, plus has a Zalman HSF (High Quality.)

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L - Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    Once again, great budget performer. The p35 Chipset is the best overclocker available. It also has decent NB heatsinks on it to handle the overclock. I can always replace the NB HSF later if I decide I need to.

Proc: Intel Pentium E2180 - Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail
    Amazing amazing overclocker. I plan to overclock this badboy to 2.8GHz (it's capable of ~3.2GHz but I don't feel like buying an aftermarket HSF atm.)

Ram: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 - Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
    I'm a HUGE fan of g.SKILL as of late. They put great performance Ram out for the price. I only plan on using XP Pro, so 2 gigs will be enough. Great great deal on this one, $45 for 2 gigs of DDR2800 g.SKILL..

For the rest I just plan on transplanting from my current rig. I get to reformat my HDD, but meh, that's ok. So this gives me a GREAT performing budget build for $450. This bad boy will outperform most rigs.

2. Resonance456

Resonance456 Geek Trainee

i like, i like. if your on a budget build i can't see anything wrong with that at all - especially if your going to OC...

what PSU u gonna have?
    try and get a good heat solution for wen u OC, don't wanna burn anything out - i suggest extra fans or a case with great air flow?

either way - great build :good:

3. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

I've already got all of that in my current rig. I've got an Apollo case that is suprisingly cool, with two extra 120mm fans in it. Keeps the ambient quite low. My PSU has actually been pretty solid and is plenty strong (550W.) And the stock HSF that comes with the retail proc is good enough to handle 2.8GHz, so I needn't worry about that.

4. Apollo1020

Apollo1020 Geek Trainee

COOL!!!

I'm happy for you! Nice set-up/upgrade. Maybe I could help you with something? Why not 8800 GT on 512MB?

I recommend Vista, don't miss it!

Ask me something, if you want!

Good luck. :x:

Edite: If you meant that Apollo chassis - it's very-very nice.

5. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

6. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee