Lets pretend Intel to AMD

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by sabashuali, Sep 26, 2005.

1. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

So...

Lets pretend that I wanted to convert from Intel to AMD.
    Nothing fancy, just to match my 3Ghz prescott.
    I do not play much games so the main job will be converting and watching movies. However, I do like my FarCry....

So, I have everything. All I need is - CPU and mobo.
    Not Rothchild so no fantasy league stuff...

Let see.....

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

AMD XP 3200+ i think would do what you want it to!
    But for video converting i'd stick with the pentium or just buy a faster P4.
    Takes me 14~ minutes to burn a dvd on my XP2800+ and 9 minutes on my friends P4 3.06 :(

sabashuali likes this.
  3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If you did, you'd want to go to an Athlon 64 CPU. A 3000+ or 3200+ would be roughly comparable, depending on what you have. If you're running an AGP card, you'd go with the nForce 3 250GB on the motherboard, otherwise pick an nForce 4 Ultra one.

But, yeah, for video editing, you're better off looking at a CPU upgrade in this case.

sabashuali likes this.
  4. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Hi

Thanks for all your replies.
    I am just really curious. You see, I built my system according to a freind's advice.
    Both me and him like our video and are absolutly useless in gaming.
    He converted from AMD to P4 when HT came about and prescotts dropped in price.
    However, as I never tasted AMD before, I really wanted to see it in action.

I have no problem with my P4. In fact I think it is superb.
    But, seeing everyone slating Intel, it relly makes me wonder what the fuss is all about. I would probably start picking up parts as I go along. My eldest will need a computer soon so I think I will build an AMD based one for him.
    I learned so many lessons building my current system which I can implement with a new build.

I wonder what AMD will have to offer when I finally get to buy the CPU.... :eek:

5. Addis

Addis The King

Its true that the Athlon XP 3200 can't match the P4 equivelent, however the Athlon64 does, and beats it in performance in many areas. You'll also enjoy a cooler running CPU, which in turn means quieter.

I'd recommend an Athlon 64 3000 or faster with a winchester or preferably a venice core.

sabashuali likes this.
  6. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

I had a look around and I am pleasantly surprised at how reasonable the Athlons 64's are....

My next system will definitly be based on one of them... :p

What PSU will need to drive a system like -

Athlon 64 3200+ Venice
    1g RAM
    a decent G card
    1 x 80gb-120gb drive?
    1 x Optical drive?

Thanks!

7. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Atleast 400W with roughly 22Amps, although 500 or above would be recommended!

sabashuali likes this.
  8. Addis

Addis The King

Depends really on your graphics card. If its a 6600GT then I recommend 400W of a high quality brand, if its going to be the previous generation like ATi 9800s then a 350W should do as the CPU uses less power than previous cores.

9. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I would highly recommend a 3000+ Venice in a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123236 EPoX Ultra mobo. Yeah I know EPoX isn't exactly the most popular brand on this forum but it looks like they've brought their act together on this one and it's has about the highest ratings on for socket 939 mobo's so you can't go wrong with that.
    I would never 'upgarde' to socket A. While it will give a bunch of cpu's at your disposal for cheap the upgrade potential is pretty much zero at this point so don't look into those. Get a 6600 as it plays FarCry on max settings pretty well. Plus they're real cheap these days and overclock very well.
    I would suggest getting a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103465 Vantec 460W PSU, it's PCIe compatable and will give you a lot of clean power for future upgrades.