Cooling Advice

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by urb1972, Sep 28, 2005.

1. urb1972

urb1972 Geek Trainee

I'm getting a Coolermaster Praetorian 732 case and am leaving the 120mm fan on the front and the two 80mm ones on the back.

However I need a decent CPU heatsink/fan and a lot of you seem to think Arctic Cooling are good, especially this one:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/urb1972/Arctic_Freezer4.jpg

But firstly, how does it fit with the retention module that surrounds that part of the mobo? (http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/rl/index.htm)

And secondly would it fit with one of these, which the 732 has?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/urb1972/732_airduct.jpg

:eek:hah:

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

having that air duct wouldnt do a lot of good as the fan on the freezer 4 is on the side, and the air sucked in through that duct would just hit the metal plate on the top of the cooler, not doing any real good, you'd need a fan which faces the side of the case with the heatsink underneath it (like stock cooling) to make full use of the duct, my case had one but i removed it when i got the freezer 4.
    Coolers: Zalman make some good coolers but for me the Freezer 4 is awesome, good price, not too heave and awesome (damn near silent) cooling.
    Its not too hard to fit.
    Post 12 is how i described how to fit the freezer 4 (not too technical but i hope you get the jist of it)
    http://www.hardwareforums.com/showthread.php?t=7087&highlight=freezer+4

urb1972 likes this.
  3. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

yes get that fan, its brilliant, i have had no problems with it :)

urb1972 likes this.
  4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

me neither, temperatures (on my celeron) rarely go above 37*C and it idles at around 20-24*C and as i sit here and type this its at 27*C with the CPU using about 15%.
    Its an awesome cooler, i dont think you'll have clearance problems, as shown in this picture, the Heatsink sits up above capacitors etc as its heat pipes mean more height

urb1972 likes this.
  5. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

I agree with matt.

I can see no problems fiting the freezer 4 to the motherboard.
    It rises quite concederably over the retention thingimijib and I am 99% sure will miss the chipset cooler.

AC recomend to fit it so the hot air blows towards the back or downwards.
    It was fine for me until I changed my PSU. I could not fit the freezer back so I reverted the clips and now the fan is blowing towards the PSU. Anyways the box shows the instructions very clearly. Other wise go here

If you decide to get the freezer, just get rid of the duct. The fact that there is an opening right over the heatsink will only improve air flow.

urb1972 likes this.
  6. urb1972

urb1972 Geek Trainee

Thanks everyone :D

Have a related PSU question but will post in the other board... :tport:

7. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

glad to help, that's what we're all here for, yeah post it in another thread and we'll be happy to help.

urb1972 likes this.
  8. urb1972

urb1972 Geek Trainee

Nice one.

Incidentally, how do you get your signature to be a piccy? :read:

9. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

OFF TOPIC BUT IT'S SHORT SO HERE GOES!
    Host your picture somewhere then get the link directly to the image, copy it into your signature (where you edit it) and highlight it, then click the icon above the box that looks like a yellow/cream background with a mountain, it will place [​IMG] tags around your link.

urb1972 likes this.