1 Minute Shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Kagedviper, May 4, 2012.

1. Kagedviper

Kagedviper Geek Trainee

One day, my computer decided to shut down on me. I turned it back on, and it shut down at the windows loading screen. I prayed, turned it on again, and it turned off before it got past the bios load screen.
    Through testing, I've found that my desktop will shut itself off within a minute of turning on, and the time it stays on will decrease with each iteration. It doesnt matter if I'm in the bios, loading windows, or if I make it to the desktop; It shuts itself down.
    I know it's not the harddrive; I installed a windows7 on a different one and I was not only able to instal it, I got to the desktop. I turned it off to confirm it was working, and it wasnt.

Any ideas or suggestions as to what is wrong with or what needs replacing in my computer?

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Sounds like it is getting hot, Is this a desktop or laptop ? If it is a desktop, Open the case, remove the side door, then turn the computer on, and look to see if the fans are all coming on, first check the CPU fan ...It probably needs to be replaced..

johhny marshal likes this.
  3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Agreed. This definitely sounds like an overheating problem. In addition to the above suggestion, if it's dusty, a can of compressed air would be in order.