1 printer works, 1 printer dosn't...

Discussion in 'General Software' started by DNich, Dec 21, 2004.

1. DNich

DNich Geek Trainee

Well I just installed our new HP Photosmart 8450 printer. I decided to keep my Lexmark x75 installed too. The reason I did this is because I wanted a scanner and it’s a little cheaper to print on seeing as it only has 2 cartages. Anyway since the HP has been installed my Lexmark won't print. I can scan but I can't print. It says communication unavailable. I don't get it I tried everything I can this of. I have then both ran off USB slots. Please help

2. Addis

Addis The King

Can you give us your system specs and OS.

3. DNich

DNich Geek Trainee

P4 2.4 400fsb
    windows xp pro
    ddr 2100 512mb ran
    I have windows service pack 2 installed. All drivers are up to date. If you need any other info just ask. I just said the basics but if you need more indepth its not a problem.

4. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Run the "Add Printer Or Scanner" wizard with the other printer attached and on, I believe.

5. DNich

DNich Geek Trainee

The HP printer prints and does everything. I had just the lexmark setup before and it worked fine. But now it will only scan. I have all the software installed.

6. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

hi m8 i would try just the lexmark printer without the hp to see if it will print then if it not try re-installing the drivers or getting new ones from the website. hope it helped Dave

7. DNich

DNich Geek Trainee

I have updated to the latest drivers hoping that would work but it didn't... But I haven't tried dissconnecting the HP and seeing if the Lexmark would work period. I have to go do some things then i'll try it i'll prob post with in a half hour. Thanks for all your help so far. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreacated also.

8. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

No problem m8, if it still doesn't work have you got another computer availible to test the lexmark on?? if it does work without the hp then the drivers are clashing try unistalling both printers and re-installing them with just the drivers and not the ultilites. i hope it helps Dave

9. DNich

DNich Geek Trainee

OK it works without the HP pluged in. I'm going to uninstall everything from Lexmark and then just install the driver. I'll tell you you guys how that turns out.

10. DNich

DNich Geek Trainee

IT WORKED!!! I just unstalled all the software and then just installed the drivers. Thank you all for your help. Now to put in my new video card i just got. XFX GeForce FX 5700 LB 128mb. I know its not the best but its better than the XFX GeForce4 440SE 64mb I got in there right now. Plus I got the card for $60 USD. You can't beat that price :chk:

Once again thanks alot it would of taken me another month to figure it out myself.

11. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

Cool im glad it worked m8 any more problems just put in a post. Dave