2 GB = OK 4 GB = BSOD? New GPU GT 240

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by acoopermufc, Jul 25, 2011.

1. acoopermufc

acoopermufc Geek Trainee

Hi all,

I recently installed a new graphics card (GeForce GT 240) which replaced my intergrated one.

Before i installed the new GPU my system was as follows:

Packard Bell Model: IMEDIA X2416
    Windows 7 home premium 64-bit (upgraded from 32-bit vista)
    Motherboard Denver 11
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
    4GB DDR2 PC2 6400 800MHZ (standard samsung memory)
    Nvidia Geforce 7100 / Nvidia nForce 630i Intergrated RAMDAC
    PSU 250w

I hardly had any problems when the PC was this setup apart from recently it started to freeze when i used certain programs but i sorted that out (Turned out that the PC just needed a good clean dust free).

As my new graphics card needed a minimum of 300w i also upgraded the PSU to a CWT 405w.

So i 1st installed the new CWT PSU, i turned on the PC (before installing the GPU GT 240) and everything was working fine.

Next i installed the new GPU (GT 240) and this is where my problems started.

Basically if i boot up with 4gb ram i always get a BSOD and the PC restarts itself, and then i may get the same BSOD again or i just get a black screen in which i have to turn the power off to get rid of.

If i boot up with 2gb ram i have no problems at all and the PC works great?

I have tried both 2gb sticks seperatly and they both work. My motherboard has 2 DDR2 slots and aslong as i only have 2gb ram installed it doesnt matter which slot i use (i have tested them both) I have run memtest on both sticks and both came back with no errors.

I have searched the net for an answer and the only one i can find doesnt work for me as i cannot even get into safe mode when i have 4gb installed, the following link is what i found:

http://www.pallab.net/2009/11/15/h [...] o-4gb-ram/

As the 4GB DDR2 PC2 6400 800MHZ was oem samsung memory, i have also brought (& awaiting delivery of) OCZ2G8004GK gold series. Do you think i will have the same problem when i install this memory? I think i will so i would like to get this problem fixed before they arrive. A few other websites say try and reinstall windows, but i would like to save that as last resort.

Any comments apreciated

Thanks

Andy

2. violetblueskies

violetblueskies Big Geek

have you tried reverting back to onboard video to see if 4gb will work again?
    i understand you swapped ram sticks to eliminate the possibility of bad sticks.
    what about ram slots though?