2Video cards with different RAM in SLI

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Wildcard, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

Hi,

I was just wondering if you had 2 video cards that were the same in all points except one has more ram than another, can they still be used in a SLI setup? Say for instance, 2 xfx 8800gtx xxx cards but one has 768mbs of ram and the other has 512mbs of video RAM. I thought I read someplace that the cards needed to be exactly the same in order to have a SLI setup.

Thanks! :chk:

2. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

Ah, found it! :D

"While it is not recommended, NVIDIA does offer this flexibility using Coolbits. When purchasing a second graphics card, you should try to match the memory size so that you are ensured full value and performance from your purchase. For example, if your first card is a GeForce 6600 GT with 128MB of memory, you should purchase a second GeForce 6600 GT with 128MB of memory. However, using Coolbits (value set to 18), you can force both of the cards to use the lower of the two memory sizes and operate together in SLI mode. When dissimilar memory sizes are enabled to work together using Coolbits, the effective memory size for each card becomes the smaller of the two memory sizes."