3 Long 3 Short

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Black Shadow, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Black Shadow

Black Shadow Geek Trainee

Computer: Acer Power 4100 Desktop System

Motherboard: Acer (Aopen) V66LA

Working fine with Pentium 2 333mhz

I have upgraded the bios to Acer V3.2 3b4. Updated the stepping codes to latest. Have the information of the switches and what to change them to for a specific processor http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/acer/mb/acv66la.htm.
    As Soon as I switch it over to 100mhz bus and put any processor in (100mhz bus) and power it on it gives me 3 long 3 short beeps.

Please help me figure it out!

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, my guess is that the CPU isn't seated properly, or that the motherboard won't work with 100MHz FSB CPU's. From the diagram above, it looks like it's a dual CPU motherboard. In that case, if you're trying to run one 66MHz FSB CPU at a 100MHz one, that's likely your problem. Also, if the board requires a terminator card for the unused slot, not having that installed can cause some problems. I wasn't able to pull up any info at AOpen's site due to some database errors they seem to be having at this time.

3. Black Shadow

The motherboard is supposed to work with 100mhz bus processors and it isn't dual processor capable, the slot on the left is holding a daughter board with 3 pci + 3 isa slots on it. Remember it is a desktop system (Acer Power 4100). I think that the motherboard is stuffed but am not sure because it runs well with 66mhz bus processors.
    I have tried a Pentium 2 400 + a Pentium 3 550 100mhz bus processors and none work.

Thanks for your help Big B.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Ahh, now that I look at it, the motherboard formfactor is NLX and does have a daugherboard like that. I have been able to do a search on AOpen's website, and I can't find that motherboard. It's likely a 440BX/LX/_X chipset, but I'm not positive without finding the exact specs of the motherboard itself.

5. Black Shadow

Yeah its a 440BX/ZX
    I still can't find anywhere to help me find out what the 3 long + 3 short beep codes mean. The only one that has 3 long + 3 short beeps is an AST bios but I'm positive it has an Acer bios because I flashed it with a newer version.
    I think I'll just keep the 333mhz PentII in it. It runs pretty fast for what it is.
    Thanx again for you help Big B

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather