9600 Pro hangs-up in Raven Shield

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by harrack52, Jun 14, 2004.

1. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

A couple of minutes into the game (2 or 3 at the most), the computer freezes.

When VPU recover is on, it usually crashes to desktop but when it's off, it crashes the whole system and I have to reset it with the reset button.

I have tried the latest omega drivers (based on cat 4.5) and the latest cat (4.6) (uninstalled using driver cleaner)
    I have tried every combination between agp 4x/8x, fastwrites on/off, vpu recover on/off, and the same exact problem repeats itself.

I am running at stock speed right now and it still does the same thing.

I have tried the latest nforce drivers as well as the 2.45 (last ones before the nforce3 ones).

I have ran Memtest-86 ver. 3 : no errors

I have reinstalled Windows from scratch, after having destroyed/reformatted the partition to ntfs.

In addition of having artifacts (even when booting) even with the original bios (as well as what can be called snow), the 9800 did the same thing in Battlefield : Vietnam, as well as in Raven Shield and UT2K4.
    (I do not have artifacts with the 9600 Pro btw. Just to keep things clear)

It only happens in games, not in Windows.

I'm starting to think the card took the agp slot with it.

I am trying different drivers as we speak (both omega and official).

I still have a GeForce2 MX400 (AGP) and a Matrox Mystique (AGP) that I can try. I also have a shit load of TNT 2 (PCI) that I can try.

If all that fails, then I think it's fair to say I'm up for a new board.

In the meantime, I'm open to any and all suggestions.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'd test the card in another rig just to cover all bases...that's like the only thing I've seen not done yet.

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Well problem solved.

All I had to do was.....reseat the heatsink :crash:

Thanks guys :)

I'm keeping that site sniper, it looks to have many ideas on how to fix that card.