A brief nVidia update...

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Exfoliate, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I was just pawing around the net and came across a few updates that concern nVidia fans.
    For one the 7950GT has been released. It's a stong high end card and basically mimicks the 7900GTX except it's only about $300 off newegg.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130061
    Great deal really, high clockspeeds, 512MB ram, requires a modest PSU, and is priced competitively.
    Then there's the G80. Keep in mind the following isn't concrete, especially concidering the Inquirer isnt' exactly the most renouned site on the net but they do well with graphics related news anyway.
    http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34495
    Very unusual specs indeed, priced high but pretty much like the 7800GTX when it first came out and those dropped pretty fast (except for the weird ones that are still like $650 for no reason...). Anyway we should probably expect it sometime in late Oct. or Nov. as ATI is looking like it will have to wait till 2007 for their newest.

2. Marcus_X

Marcus_X Expert N00b

Just when you think you've got a killer card installed and payed hard cash for it, Nvidia spits out another core and your little puppy/puppies is/are outdated.

The G80's specs are indeed unusual;

* Unified Shader Architecture
    * Support FP16 HDR+MSAA
    * Support GDDR4 memories
    * Close to 700M transistors (G71 - 278M / G70 - 302M)
    * New AA mode : VCAA
    * Core clock scalable up to 1.5GHz
    * Shader Peformance : 2x Pixel / 12x Vertex over G71
    * 8 TCPs & 128 stream processors
    * Much more efficient than traditional architecture
    * 384-bit memory interface (256-bit+128-bit)
    * 768MB memory size (512MB+256MB)
    * Two models at launch : GeForce 8800GTX and GeForce 8800GT

Prices are high;

* GeForce 8800GTX : 7 TCPs chip, 384-bit memory interface, hybrid water/fan cooler, water cooling for overclocking. US$649
    * GeForce 8800GTX : 6 TCPs chip, 320-bit memory interface, fan cooler. US$449-499

If I could make a wish, then I'd I wish I was rich and not this handsome, then I could buy me all the latest hardware available :D

Greetings,

Marcus

3. Marcus_X

Marcus_X Expert N00b

I've found some pictures which might possibly be from the next G80 cards;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It clearly has the watercooling connectors which it was rumoured to have.

4. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Woah, that's some beefy cooler, I hope it doesn't require water cooling to get it to a half decent temp.