A+ Certification

Discussion in 'IT Careers and Certification' started by Yuchao719, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Yuchao719

Yuchao719 Geek

All finished studying for the A+ Certification exam and reviewing a bit for my Core Hardware exam, scheduled this Friday. Just curious, does anyone else here have A+/Network+ Certification? If so, could you please fill me in on the details, maybe your score, and how you felt about it...etc?

Thanks and wish me luck..:)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Yeah I found the hardware exam pretty easy. Just make sure you know the IRQ addresses!

The A+ is a pretty good place to start your qualifications as it teaches you the basics of hardware and Windows. But I must say that it's very difficult to get a job with only the A+. Ideally you would go on to take the N+ and possibily the MCSE

BTW, you might want to try these free practice exams. I found them pretty useful

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'm finally going for the A+ myself. I got the book "Exam Cram 2 A+ Practice Questions" that covers the software and hardware sides of the thing. It also has a CD with a configurable test system.

Mega's right: know the IRQ's. While, realistically, you're not going to need it, unless you go onto programming, know it for the test, along with I/O ports and DMA addresses. Also, read up on printers. It's a bear for me.

4. Addis

Addis The King

Horrible. Remembering IRQs, resource addresses are the most boring thing I've ever studied for. It's put me off A+. I'll take it some time in next two years, but even with an excellent book I can't be bothered.

5. Yuchao719

Yuchao719 Geek

Actually I'm studying from Exam Cram 2 as well. Most difficult section to remember was the printers, as I've never actually opened one up myself. I've only touched inkjets. Next is networking. Never had any practical experience with stuff like TokenRing, fiber optics, STPs and other weird cabling; I've done only plain tcp/ip and netbeui on typical ethernet hub. Somehow, I can remember irq settings reasonably well.

Along with what megamaced suggested, heres a bunch of online practice tests i've found to be useful:
    A+ practice Test
    FreePractice - Part 1 (ver 1.2.00)
    A+ Practice Test
    Practice Exams
    CompTIA A+ Practice Test: Free A+ Practice Exams

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I quit college a few years ago simply because I wasn't doing the work and sleeping in class. I know the practical stuff, but without some piece of paper to say I know what I know, getting a job outside of menial labor isn't going to happen.

7. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

I had the video cds for A+ with Mike Myers. I don;t think they do them for the latest exams but my god did he make studying it a breeze.

8. megamaced

Mike Myers is a genious :D But he loves his computers a little too much!

9. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Doesn't he...I particularly love the survival DOS episode where he comes on through the branches. I love it!

10. Yuchao719

Yuchao719 Geek

I passed the Core Hardware Exam!

Passing score: 515
    Candidate score: 679

I did worst in the printers section, interacting with customers section, SCSI, networking section.

Expected something in the 700s but oh well it turned out great anyway.

OS exam is in Sept.

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I still only make 68% (failing). Google IRQ and I/O lists and you can find the lists easily. Write them down a few times.

12. Yuchao719

Yuchao719 Geek

Hey Big B - 68% is a pass. Pass is 59% for Core Hardware and 57% for OS Technologies.

I just got my OS Technologies Test score: 658/900, or 73%

I did these exams with only a few library books and a reference book and with no training - only studying and experience. The sad thing for the OS Tech was that it asked only on "What buttons to click to access this or that..." Nothing at all was asked about how Windows actually works, which is much more valuable knowledge than what buttons and tabs to click on. AND it was 100% Windows oriented. Not ONE question was about Linux, Mac, or OSes in general.

13. megamaced

Well done :)

You need to be looking at the MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) for anything more advanced

Yeah, it sucks! If you want to learn more about Linux you should check out CompTIA's Linux+ qualification