A most delectable Curry

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wolfeymole, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole Geek

As an aside here is my version of a really good curry.
    Do it yourself or get the wife/girlfriend to cook it.

Turkey Madras

Ingredients:
    4 Good size turkey breast fillets.
    6 cloves of garlic (well crushed)
    4 large onions.
    4 tbls of vinegar.
    4 tbls of good soy sauce (Kikkomans or Blue Dragon)
    2 tbls sun dried tomato puree.
    2 tins plum (not chopped as they contain all the ****) tomato's chopped.
    1/2 pound of mushrooms.
    5 tspns good quality curry powder (preferably from an asian shop)
    2 tspns chilli powder
    4 birds eye chilli's chopped (or scotch bonnet if you want it to blow your head off)
    3 tspns sugar
    3 good sized spuds cut into ½” cubes.
    4 tbls of sunflower oil.

Method:
    Remove the membranes that run down the middle of the turkey fillets and cut into 1" chunks.
    Combine the turkey pieces with 2 cloves of crushed garlic, 1 tbls of vinegar, 1 tbls oil, 1 tspn of curry powder, 1 tbls soy sauce and marinade for at least 24 hours.

I use a large wok but you can use a large frying pan, bear in mind the ingredients will be enough for 2 people for 2 days.

Chop the onions and chilli's and fry with the garlic together with 2 tbls of soy, 2 tbls vinegar and 1 tbls oil until tender then transfer to another pan for a bit.

The Roux
    Combine the curry powder, chilli powder, tomato puree, sugar, remaining vinegar, soy and oil then fry for about 15 minutes on a low to medium heat, Add water if the roux thickens.

Finally
    Add the onion/garlic mixture back to the wok together with the tinned tomato's, mushrooms and add the potatoe's.
    Fry for about 15 minutes on a medium heat then fill the wok/pan with water, bring to the boil then simmer until the desired thickness is reached.
    As we know Turkey/Chicken doesn't take 2 minutes to cook so I usually add the turkey after about 4 hours of simmering.
    Usual cooking time is roughly 5 hours, this may seem like a long time but nothing that tastes good is rushed.
    Have it with some good quality Basmati and/or Garlic and Coriander Naans