A Summer to Upgrade.

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by Kastang, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Kastang

Kastang Geek Trainee

I have some spare cash to use this summer, I think I am going to put it into my PC; below are my specs:

CPU:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz (No OCing, Stock HS)

Mobo
    ASRock 775Dual-VSTA (Bit of a cheap motherboard, But it had an AGP slot - When I was buying it, I wanted to use my existing Radeon x1600XT card. The mobo has a PCIe x16 slot on it, but it only operates @ 4x)

Ram:
    Patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)

PSU
    COOLMAX CP-500T EPS12V 500W (I really like the PSU, looks nice and clean and quite)

Case:
    COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 (I bought this mainly for the price, I got it while it has a rebate on it for 40 dollars + shipping - I dont love it, but I dont hate it either. Right now I would like to have a case with more fans for better cooling, and possible a clear side panel.)

HDD
    Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JSRTL 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (Really need to get a bigger one.. Should have originally. ATM I have 20gb free.)

I also have a PCI bay cooler, which does lower the temperature of the inside of my case, but it is kind of loud - I bought a cheap one, but it does the job. I also have a sony DVD RW burner (No Lightscribe)

I have 2 17" LCD monitors

My computer is on 24/7 as a lot of yours are I assume do. I play World of Warcraft on it a lot, In addition I also use Autodesk Revit, Autocad, and Inventor. I also use Solidworks from time to time. 80% of the time I am playing WoW on it though (Yes, Im an addict and proud to admit it :p ) I usually have iTunes, GAIM XChat, Firefox open, Along with NOD32 and KPF and AVG Anti Spyware running in the background. Probably a few more that I am forgetting to mention.

I dont have may lag problems at the moment, WoW isnt very resourse intensive from what I can tell (Except RAM wise). I usually have WoW open on one screen (Window'd and Max'd) and Firefox/GAIM/iTunes open on the other screen. The only time it lags is if I am in a big area and I switch from FF to iTunes, or attempt to open another program. For the most part it is nice though.

Now.. I have a few decisions to make:

Case - As I said above, I dont love it nor do I hate it. If I did purchase another case it would be an Antec 900 mostlikely. I think I will probably end up modding my case I have not to suit my needs. I would hate to spend 130 on a new case when I can just mod mine for >50g. I really dont care how nice it looks, I really just care about whats inside.

New Monitor - I think that it is time to upgrade to a new monitor, the 17" is nice. But I recently played on a friends computer who has a 21.1" monitor, All I can say is WOW.. The bigger resolution and size of it is amazing. I really think it would make my game play much more exciting. This may lead to another problem though, If I get a 20 or 21 inch monitor (Widescreen) - I am not sure if my Video card (Raedon x1600XT) will be able to handle the 21" and one 17" monitor as well as it is handleing my 2 17" monitors currently. I am guessing that I am going to have to upgrade my graphics card also..Any suggestions if I do?

Other:
    I am still using the stock CPU cooler, it is fairly quiet so it doesnt bother me. I am thinking that I might want to upgrade to a better cooler though. Mainly for the fact that my case doesnt really have great airflow in it- The only good thing is on the CM5 case, it has a wind funnel that goes right over the Heatsink which is great. Im not sure if I really need to upgrade though, I suppose it wouldnt hurt. Speedfan clocks my CPU at about 40 degrees idle (on both cores) - Seems a little warm to me, Im not sure how much a *decent* cooler will bring my temps down.

Another few things I want to get are a new PCI bay cooler, a more quiet, better made, one. Also a new 110mm and 80mm fan (Red LEDs) for the two standard fans for my CM5, I am also going to put another 110mm intake below my DVDRom and DVD RW drives, I think the increased air flow will help to improve the coolness. I honestly dont think the 80mm fan is really doing a whole lot - I have three hard drives right in front of it(one 160gb sata, and 2 80gb SATA, so airflow is minimal down there.

Just looking for opinions or suggestions on what I should do. Currently I think I am just going to mod my CM5 to suit my needs. Im just not sure about the Monitor and Videocard.

Thanks!

2. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

well that all looks pretty sweet, get a nice vid card and a widescreen monitor (1680 x 1050) and you'll be set.