ABIT Siluro GF2 MX400 display problem

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by harrack52, Jan 26, 2003.

1. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

My system is described below.

Some may have read a thread which described this problem.

I still see those annoying pale horizontal lines at the top and at the bottom of the screen. They move up and down very fast, not on the entire screen but in a 2 cm spand both at the top and bottom of the screen, that'S the best description I can give.
    I see them especially on pale colors like white or light gray.
    The BIOS of my card is 3.11.01.48, the drivers are from nvidia's website 30.82, my board's BIOS is T1.6, there is a T1.8 although I would be VERY surprised it would solve the problem. The agp driving value is set to manual : DA. On abit's site's faqs they describe a similar problem concerning this exact graphic card and some of abit's motherboards. They say it can be solved by setting the agp driving value to FF, EF, FE or EE. I tried that knowing it would probably not work because my board is a Soltek and it did not work ! I thought this problem was an incompatibility issue with my previous board which was a pcchips M810L but the issue is still present with the new board. I'm beginning to think it may be the screen which is a LG 775N, I cannot recall when exactly it started. Could anyone help me on this ?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Can you try a different video card?
    If I remember, that PCChips board had some integrated video. Did you try that after the problem started with that motherboard?

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

no I did not try the onboard video on the previous board and this one has no onboard video

yes I could probably find an old video card to try, maybe not an agp card though

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Doesn't have to be AGP, but if you wanna be sure, see about swapping AGP cards with someone and see if the problem continues. However, a PCI video card should do the trick for troubleshooting.

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I tried with a pci card, it's a matrox millenium don'T really know what model exactly but anyway... I still have the same problem so I'm thinking the screen itself has a problem, my father has the same exact screen, I'll test my system with it but only friday so I'll tell you what happens, in the meantime if you have an idea feel free to let me know.

I know the board's not the problem because I had the same problem with the pcchips, I know it's not the agp port because of the other board and I tested with a pci card, I know it'S not the card obviously so it leaves only the screen

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It's only one of the two...and it's pretty much the screen. I don't have anything else to tell you in the troubleshooting arena, as there's not much to put up regarding this issue.

7. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

what bugs me is that my screen is much newer than my father's and it's the exact same, I don't think I still have the invoice so warranty is not an option, I may have caught a lemon or did something to it which I don'T know, I would have prefered that the card had a problem because that geforce 2 is only 60 $ cad and the screen is close to 200, I can still keep it for now though, I have a dark background and it'S not really noticeable in games, but everytime I see those lines moving it really bugs me !

thanks a lot to everyone, whether it'S Big B or sniper or anyone else who helped me I really appreciate it, you respond really fast and to every little question even though some may seem obvious, I posted on a couple of forums and you were by very far the most helpful, I'll be sure to post here if...or should I say when something else comes up, I'll post to this thread again when I'll have tested with the other screen to confirm my screen really is the problem, thanks again :)

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I've gotten bad parts before. I had a 15" Dell monitor just start smokining a minute or two after plugging it in. Last year, I had an Epox motherboard go kaput 2 weeks after receiving it in the mail.

Every company has units that seem in good order when they leave the factory, but one tiny little component is on it's way out and that might throw the part off enough to screw it up. Stuff breaks, unfortunately.

I try to keep tabs on my major purchases and especially any hardware purchases.

9. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I guess so.
    I used to have an old NEC Multisync 2A which lasted forever but in the end I had to replace it. It wouldn'T display 800x600 correctly. Now I'm really disappointed in this screen, a year max and it'S already dying....I think I'll spend a couple more bucks and go with a NEC , I heard Samsung makes very reliable screen, anyway like I said this one is still doing the job

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Samsung makes pretty good products in general. I've got a couple of flat screen Dell monitors using a 17" Sony Trinitron tube. I was able to pick them up at a local shop for $99 used---which is quite a steal. Brand new, I wouldn't put it past them to cost $200---due to it using a Sony tube (Sony products tend to be quite a bit over priced, IMO) and being a Dell product. I was looking at a Samsung 755DF previously, which looks very, very sharp---if it weren't for these being so cheap, I'd have eventually gotten the Samsung, because they were a little sharper. I didn't have the money at the time, and I needed a new monitor ASAP.

I love flat screens enough to really recommend them if you can plunk down the money for them. I've heard Samsung has a very good RMA process (if your monitor happens to crap out)---they can send you a new monitor in a box with free shipping and free return shipping (you may have to give them a credit card #, for insurance that you'll send back the defective unit).

11. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

what about NEC ?

12. syngod

syngod Moderator

I've used both a Multisync 15" and MultiSync XP17 from them and they've been fine except during resolution changes there was a large cracking sound in both of them.

From the sound of things that's quite normal. Although it's a bit disconcerning hearing a crack and a black screen for a second or two the first few times their monitors tend to be fairly solid.

13. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I was looking at a Samsung 753DF, the only real difference with the 755DF is the resolution/frequency and the low-radiation but I don'T know if it's a real issue(753DF is MPR-II and the 755DF is TCO-99, I don't know what it means) and the price of course, the 755DF is 90$ cad more. the 753DF is 235 cad which would be around 145 usd but us products are usually less expensive than here so it's probably less than that.

and for nec there's a AS75F which would be the equivalent in price but you get more for your money with the samsung than for the nec

those are all flat screens, the equivalent in "non-flat" would be the 750S(samsung)for only 20 usd less so why not go with the flat right ?

14. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yup. I can run both of these monitors @ 1600x1200 resolution, but the refresh rate is 60Hz, and that is really hard on the eyes, so I run it at 1280x1024 @ 75Hz--which is on the high side. The 1600x1200 resolution will come in handy for benchmarking video cards in the future (another reason I was looking at the 755DF).

I like to have a lot of desktop space, so I run a high res, but that's just me.

15. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

right, since I had my 17"(the nec was 14")I was running 1280x1024 at 60hz, I was used to it, but now I run at 1024x768 at 85hz and the difference is huge, 1600x1200 would be too small for me on a 17"

1024x768 is a bit big but with the monitor that I have I have no choice

16. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I'm confirming that the problem is the screen, I tested with an old Nec that I have and with another LG 775N which has problems also but my screen is clearly the problem.

I tested my system with my father's screen and my father's system with my screen to make sure my diagnostic was right and it is so I'll try to find out the invoice to get it replaced, if I can'T find it or if I can't replace it I'll probably buy a Samsung 753DF.
    For the time being I can still use this screen, it'S still very usable but I'll definitely need to replace it.

Never again will I buy a LG or any other cheap brands to save some cash, let's spend a couple bucks more and keep the screen a lot longer : the nec I had lasted 10 years ! , the LG 1 year ...