ABS Vs Regular Brakes

Discussion in 'Cars' started by Mack, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Mack

Mack Big Geek

Couple of months ago, on the history channel, a documentory showed that the concept of abs brakes, currently used in cars, was actually taken from air crafts.
    Now I wonder what is the difference between the regular brakes and the abs brakes, in terms of mechanics and efficiency?

2. Mack

Mack Big Geek

3. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

It comes pretty much standard on every car!

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

ABS(Anti-lock Braking System) keeps the wheels from blocking while applying the brakes hard. The advantages of this is it gives you the ability to steer your car to avoid obstacles. However, it also adds to your braking distance.

Again, ABS isn't designed to shorten your braking distance, but to give you the ability to steer while breaking hard, even on snow or ice (up to a certain point).

A while ago I had heard of another system called IBS (Intelligent Braking System). What it did is it calculated the fastest speed at which every wheel could go while braking without losing the ability to steer the car. It is a lot more efficient than ABS since ABS does not really keep the wheels from blocking, it only releases the pressure oftenly to give the llusion that the wheel continues to spin.
    From what I understand, IBS uses a much much more sophisticated algorithm to calculate the speed of each wheel, which in return makes the price probably too high to have it implemented on everyday cars.

5. Mack

Mack Big Geek

So, the main purpose of ABS is to provide control by keeping the car in balance during a brake.
    As far as balancing is concerened, I heard BMW had a new balancing system installed in its cars. The system keeps the car in balance, during turns (and I think brakes too) by means of a computer system that keeps on changing the power to the wheels.
    I don't think they are going to need abs,..hehe

6. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Mack, yeah I heard about the beamers with balancing...kinda weird but logical!

7. Mack

Mack Big Geek

Well they gotta put something in those luxury cars to bring them at par with the price,...

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That is true. BMW and Mercedes have some really slick braking systems that use electronics to independently control each wheel's braking. I forget the details, but I remember hearing something about this years back from my dad who happens to be a former BMW and current Benz mechanic. Keep in mind I remember him telling me this in the 4th grade, and I graduated HS back in 2000.