Acer Extensa EX5220 ?

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by edijs, Apr 15, 2008.

1. edijs

edijs Programmer

i need a laptop - this one has a 2.0ghz intel cpu some generic intel sh*t of a VGA adapter and 2gigs or RAM, plus a 160gig HDD. seems ok for 300 pounds. what do you say?

2. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Is the Intel CPU Dual Core?

Also, I've personally had a bad experience with Acer, as the motherboard and HDD failed after 3 weeks, and it had to be off for repair for 6 weeks!

3. edijs

edijs Programmer

that's quite a student laptop; the cpu is single core.
    aparently, it's quite a random thing - the breakig - some say their audio don't work, some say - the lcd is lamely enforced and is broken real fast. some say its working like a beauty.

any other experiences?

4. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

If the laptop is only for internet, email and word processing etc then it should be good enough. If it comes with Vista, you should probably put XP on!

I should also mention that I know at least 2 other people with Acer laptops who have had no problems at all, and they work fine.

5. edijs

edijs Programmer

sure, internet and word processing. also, watching movies will be okay, since it has a 160gig hdd and the x3100 GPU is said to deliver good enough performance for that purpose :) ;

it comes with some linux. I'd guess it's some non-gui linux because i've seen this kind of new acer laptops with linux previously and they all had a command- line linux on them preinstalled. i'm guessing its because noone wants to go and do the job of installing linux and making disks for it so on and so forth. but, of course, i'll go XP (although the x3100 again is supposed to be Aero capable :D - but I'm not willing to test that since I don't like Vista anyways ...)

there's also a 0.3 mpix webcam supposed to be :D - i think a real nice student laptop :rolleyes: will see...

6. usavoroa

usavoroa Geek Trainee