acer notebook won't start

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Craig Thomson, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Hi guys,

Acer Aspire 3410, initial problem with black screen of death (completely blank). Reflashed/updated BIOS to 1.28, which corrected error but revealed non-functional backlight (very dim image).

I dismantled the monitor to check all connections (fine) then connected a voltmeter across the earth and +ve on the inverter board to check if it was delivering power. Computer immediately shutdown ([​IMG]) and now won't start.

I've tried resetting the CMOS by removing the battery + ac power, holding the "on" button for 30s then refitting battery + ac power with no success. I've also removed the circular battery located next to the RAM accessible via the RAM access panel on the underside. Still nothing.

Any suggestions?

2. violetblueskies

violetblueskies Big Geek

probably something blown on the motherboard.
    checking voltage with power isn't damaging unless you shorted something accidentally while checking voltage.
    the inverter gets its power from the motherboard so that which controls its power would be where to check.
    maybe visible damage might be seen close up if taken apart.
    otherwise you would need to start checking from where power goes in and see if you can find the short or blown component.
    also i read that using a thermal device can allow you to pinpoint where the damage might be.