add ubuntu to vista bootloader using easybcd

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by Runner7775, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Runner7775

Runner7775 Geek

i have a computer with xp and vista installed and i then installed ubuntu 6.10. Now Grub boots and gives me the option of booting ubuntu or vista bootloader. how do i use easybcd to install ubuntu to vista bootloader and get rid of grub booting first. (i have already tried telling easybcd to overide grub but it didnt delete it)

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

I dont think it is possible to get the Vista bootloader to let you load into Ubuntu.

3. Runner7775

Runner7775 Geek

you can, uhh just google easybcd for some reason the page isnt loading right right now but you can access the cached page on google

4. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Sounds like it is it's own boot manager, so all it does is put the Vista and linux boot info into its own boot manager.

5. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

If configured correctly, GRUB should have installed with options to load XP, Vista and Ubuntu from a single menu. I don't know anything about the vista bootloader. If you haven't heard, microsoft is a monopoly and hates linux and anything non-MS so its boot loaders will NEVER boot anything but windows. I can recommend that nobody should use a windows boot loader because of the lack of flexibility. GRUB, GAG and others will boot just about anything, all on a single menu, including multiple instances of windows/DOS.

Is it even possible to remove the vista boot loader without re-installing?

Anyway, hth

6. Runner7775

Runner7775 Geek

i just need how to get ubuntu to not override the vista bootloader. my guess is that at the end of ubuntu installation i would tell it to install grub to the ubuntu root partition and use easybcd to tell the vista boot loader where it is but i still dont know.

7. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

AFAIK, Ubuntu will give you the option to NOT install the boot loader. Still, Vista WILL NEVER boot ubuntu or anything other than other Windows versions so the vista boot loader is completely out of the question. You need GRUB, GAG LILO or some other boot loader/manager to dual boot. Does GRUB not work with Vista & XP? It only gives you the option of the vista loader?

***EDIT
    I read up on easybcd. To get rid of grub, you need to go to the recovery console in vista (boot install cd and go to recovery console) and use the 'fixmbr' command to overwrite the master boot record, then you can try easybcd again.