Addis needs some advice: MacBooks?

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by Addis, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Addis

Addis The King

I'm leaving for university in September, and since my current laptop is quite a few years old now and getting on a bit, I think I need a new PC or laptop.

I know PCs are much less hassle in buying and maintaining, but I'm thinking a very portable laptop would be a good option. Battery life is quite important, so 3 hours or more is the minimum.

I thought about MacBooks, see I've always wanted to [strike]make love to a[/strike] use a MacBook. Since it's Unix like and supports a lot of the GNU tools like gcc it seems a decent option, with the possibility of installing Linux as well. (I'm taking CS Masters, so lot of programming probably)

Anyone have any opinions? Having a laptop or a MacBook would make vacating my room for holidays easier as well.

2. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

If you can afford a MacBook, then I'd go for it. Personally I think they're overpriced, but you can run XP and other O/S's on them also, which helps with development of software if you want it to run on multiple platforms.

On the other hand, you could buy a laptop with windows pre-installed, and save a lot of money, and you wouldn't have to learn how to use OS X.

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I'd go with the MacBook if price isnt a problem :)