Advent PQD4003 soooooooo LOUD!!!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by thefonz, Sep 22, 2009.

1. thefonz

thefonz Geek Trainee

Hello,

I bought a VERY cheap PC (Advent PQD4003) from a well know auction site. I read a review that said it was loud, but thought "how loud can it be?". Well, it's loud. Very, very, loud.

I actually love the PC though, I'm rockin 3 x 500gb disks, 4 gb mem and a quad core AMD Phenom CPU.

I recently just added two more drives so I know the noise is not caused by the additional drives.

So, how do I shut this bad boy up?

What about some insulating foam? Will I fry the contents of my PC?

I would prefer not to spend £££'s as the PC was really cheap, so I would like to keep it that way without pimping it up with the latest water cooled system.

Could you guys give me some options as to;

a) How to make this thing quite.

b) How much it will cost to make this thing quiet.

As I say, I would prefer to keep the costs down, but don't want to ruin my beloved PC by going the cheap option. I am up for the safe and cheap method (if one even exists).

Thanks in advance

2. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Welcome to the forums!
    From what I read, this is a known issue to Advent and is due to the CPU cooler fan running at top speed continiously... Good one Advent..! :D

I am afraid you are chasing a holy grail my friend. Quiet, cheap PC? Not that I have heard of.... The point is that the case you have is probably designed for an entry level PC where the CPU fan runs fairly slowly, the G card does not have a fan and the whole system is happy with an air flow generated by a single 80mm fan.

It sounds like your PC is wearing the wrong frock... :chk:

The minimum I would do is get a decent CPU cooler which uses a larger fan with lower RPM. It is always a good investment if you are planning to keep the current set-up. Then, I would consider a bigger case and two 120mm fans (one intake and one outtake). Even if not silent, they will be quieter than 80mm and will increase the air flow.

3. Tora Scotia

Tora Scotia Geek Trainee

Hi!

I bought one of the Advents and when I first switched on the machine, I was absolutely astonished at the noise from the CPU fan, which was running flat out, at around 4,600 revs. I opened up the machine and installed a 'fan mate.' This is a very small piece of equipment, costing about £3.99.

Instead of connecting the fan to the power point on the motherboard, it's connected to the fan mate.

The fan mate then connects to the motherboard power point.

There is a small knob on the fan mate, which controls the speed of the fan. It then becomes a matter of judgement as to the speed of the fan and the temperature of the CPU you think best.

My CPU fan is currently running at around 2,650 revs and the CPU temperature is 32º C. I also have one of the fan mates connected to the case fan. This is running at around 1,750 revs at a temperature of 33º C.

After a few additions to the Advent including upgrading to Windows 7, everything runs extremely well - and very much quieter.

FANMATE 2 Variable Fan Speed Controller

4. thefonz

thefonz Geek Trainee

£3.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your'e a legend!! Thanks very much.

5. Jamiejammydodger

Jamiejammydodger Geek Trainee

Just in case anyone is still interested. The reason the fans are so loud on the Advent PQD4003 is that Advent cheapened out when it came to fitting the fans. The motherboard supports dual PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) fans which have 4 wires and a single 4 pin plug. However Advent decided on cheaper 3 pin fans which could not adjust the speed(in the bios "pc health settings") thus if you tried to change the fan speed in the bios, nothing happened. I robbed a couple of old pwm fans from old Pentium 4 pcs I had, installed them and enabled in the bios. The cpu fan which ran at 4,600rpm previously now runs at 1400rpm and the case fan which ran at 2,800 RPM now runs at 1,500 from cool only adjusting to suit load.