All System Functions Incredibly Slow

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Hacktank, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Hacktank

Hacktank Geek Trainee

Hello, this is quite defiantly a hardware issue. This forum is called 'hardware'forums.com, so it seems appropriate. Anyway, earlier today I was using my desktop as i have been for years, and it was working just fine. I walked away for about an hour and returned to find the OS performing actions, like opening a program, extremely slowly. I figured a quick restart would fix it, so i hit restart from the start menu. It was on the 'Shutting Down' phase for 10 minutes before i just pulled the plug. I quickly rebooted the computer. It went through the bios displays correctly and quickly, the problems didnt start until it got to the point where windows takes conrol. I have 'OS Boot Information' enabled, so i can see the different files the os loads during boot. It takes a few seconds to load each file and finally just freezes when it gets to the last one, i waited for about an hour before giving up. At that point it showed the mouse cursor and the default windows 7 background picture. Figuring this was hard drive failure I plugged in my flash drive containing Hiren's Boot CD and tried to fire up Mini XP, it loads and boots into Mini XP slowly, progress ends when the background shows and the mouse cursor appears, nothing else is on the screen, even after waiting for 10 minutes. My second guess was RAM failure, so i took out all my ram, and put on card back in at a time and tried booting in each configuration only to get the same results. I am stumped. What do you guys think?

I have made a video of me trying to boot my system and how slow it goes. I shot it with my phone, so the quality isnt stellar, but it does show the problem.

2. Turbokiller89

Turbokiller89 Geek Trainee

i had a problem like this, it was my system registry. i solved by RE-installing win 7. i see you have 3 drives, i would try creating a new partition on one of them installing a NEW win 7 and seeing if that one boots up as normal. if not you can just delete that partition and your only out an hour of time and you know for sure it not a software problem. hope this helped :)

3. Hacktank

Hacktank Geek Trainee

I posted this on another forum as well and a solution was found there. It turns out one of the two hard drives in the RAID array was bad. Somehow that caused the system to not boot, even from removable media/my old drive.

Sniper likes this.