Alternative Browsers

Discussion in 'General Software' started by donkey42, Mar 4, 2007.

1. donkey42

donkey42 plank

most browsers listed here are free

Opera Available for Win & *nix
    opera is the favorite of many people, opera is quite fast and has a built in mail client and tabbed browsing, one thing against opera is that it uses a strange filtering system in its mail client which i think would be difficult for a noob to understand
    Opera's features

Firefox Available for Win & *nix
    Firefox uses tabbed browsing too but doesn't have a mail client built in but it does have some very good extensions and Add-ons, Firefox can be tweaked to make it a lot lot faster
    Firefox features

the next few browsers are based on Firefox, some are also available for multiple architectures:
    Swiftfox (built for Linux & what i use) Available for *nix only
    Seamonkey is available for many different architectures (Win, *nix, Mac)

SeaMonkey is the name of the branched version of the Mozilla suite that was formed when the Mozilla Foundation stopped supporting further development of its former flagship product in favor of Firefox. The name was the former code name of the suite, but was not used as an official product name until the new project split off. It consists of a combination of a browser, an e-mail program, and other things such as an IRC chat program. With the 2005 announcement that the Mozilla Foundation would no longer release any official versions of the suite, development moved to an independent group of developers. There was some question about what name they would be using, but by mid-2005, they had officially announced SeaMonkey as the program's name

Sunbird Available for Win, *nix & Mac
    Flock is actually still in beta, but Flock is v v good, and it is Available for Win & *nix & Mac

BTW: i'm actually thinking about switching to Flock as my main Browser because of many things including adding bookmarks to it's own online server (which saves having to install Foxmarks)

Windows only Browsers

Opera
    Firefox
    Avant avant uses IE6's browser engine, so it can't be that good if it is reliant upon IE
    K-Meleon K-Meleon was last updated on Oct 31, 2002, so that eliminates it as a viable browser

there are plenty of browsers that are based on IE (use IE's browser engine)
    Maxthon

Linux Browsers I haven't tried all of these yet

Konqueror is a very good and free browser, File manager, universal viewer & is v v customizable, very few sites don't work with konqueror but with a bit of tweaking and your good to go

Galeon i've never used Galeon
    Epiphany i've never used Epiphany
    Firefox please se the above description
    Opera please se the above description

Mac Browsers (i've not tried these because i don't have a Mac)

OmniWeb 5
    iCab
    Camino (was called Chimera but changed its name to avoid confusion with an unrelated Unix-based browser of that name)
    Safari

please PM me with any updates to this thread, or your experience with a browser, i will be trying different browsers and updating this thread

BTW: i'm not happy with the layout of this thread, so i will be changing it
    also thanks to Addis & Matt555 for their input

2. Addis

Addis The King

Don't forget about Konqueror, a very capable browser as well as a fantastic file manager.

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yeah, thanks, trying to get Avant working on Kubuntu through Wine, haven't got it working yet, so i'll keep trying

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i will finish this post probably tomorrow

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Safari on Macs.