Alternative to FTP

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by daisycutter, Aug 11, 2006.

1. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

I heard recently that FTP was not a very effiecent or secure way of transfering data. Does anyone know of a safer way to transfer data? i work with lots of privacy sensitive files at work and wouldnt want anyone prying into want im doing. thanks

2. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

3. thoonie

thoonie hmmm....

its still FTP but using SSL, almost the same technology combined with the security authentication of VPN. Read further here. Hope this helps.

4. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

have you tried googling it

if your after a FTP via VPN type 'VPN FTP' or 'FTP VPM "via ssl" '

5. krock923

krock923 Geek Trainee

SFTP is the way to go. It's very secure and once you set it up, works almost exactly the same way that ftp does.

6. thoonie

thoonie hmmm....

Is that for me or for daisycutter?

7. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

daisy particually

8. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

do u mean peer to peer network? im not sure if this is what im doing....

basically, at work, i have to commuicate with office in Hong Kong, and have webstorage holding lots of files such as pictures etc. someone loads them up on FTP at one end and downloads them the other end and vice versa. as these files are of sensitive nature and spend most of their time sitting in cyberspace im looking for a way to secure them. im not sure if im explaining myself adequtely so apologises if im not:confused:

9. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

we use a program at work called folder share to transfer and receive files in the UK, it lets u share a particular folder on your pc to anyone else on the internet, and vice versa its very simple to use im not sure how secure /unsecure it is but it works very well once set up

there is no 'cyberspace' with this, the files are stored on one pc, allowing you to upload them straight from it (which means the sourse pc has to be switch on) coz the files dont get stored onto a 3rd party server

www.foldershare.com

10. Addis

Addis The King

Secure FTP creates an FTP connection using RSA encryption, so as long as the server on the other end has a SFTP server daemon running and set up, you can get a SFTP client to access them securely.