amd athlon xp 2000 question

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by IGDIABLO, Jan 11, 2004.

1. IGDIABLO

IGDIABLO Geek Trainee

i have an athlon xp 2000 cpu, the cpu itself is green, i have read that only the newer athlon xp 2000's are green and they use the thoroughbred core, mine is green and it used the palomino core!!!

anyone know the truth???

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Take the heatsink off and note the number on the sticker, then go to amd's website and check if the number matches with the thoroughbred cpus or the palomino ones.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I don't know how accurate this is, but in my experience with green Athlon XP 2000+'s, they're Palamino Core CPUs. Really there isn't much difference between palamino and thoroughbred, except that the palamino is a thoroughbred that's designed for multiprocessor use. Same 256kL2, 266FSB... However, I've also seen some Palaminos that are burgundy in color, the difference is the micron process.

P.S. - After writing all this, I'm realizing that harrack52 already said it better and said it first; so "what he said" ;)

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

The other main difference between the two is that the thoroughbred operates at a much lower voltage (only 1.5V for certain models) so it dissipates way less heat.