AMD AthlonXPAMD 2800

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by pegmaster14, Sep 9, 2004.

1. pegmaster14

pegmaster14 Geek Trainee

How fast does a AMD AthlonXP 2800 work? Would that be enough to play Farcry, some other games, and the basic Microsoft programs?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yes, it'd be fine. However, for that you'd want to make sure you have a solid video card. You want to look at a Radeon 9800 Pro, and they run around $200 on-line. Yes...the CPU is important, but the newer FPS titles demand a hearty graphics card to run them.

3. Addis

Addis The King

The 2800 is either going to be a t/bred B or the barton athlon. either way it should be sound.

4. pegmaster14

pegmaster14 Geek Trainee

so would it work just fine to the point where i definately wouldn't need anything better or do mean something else when you say it would be fine?

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Is it the best CPU you can get? No. But unless you're rolling in money, it's perfectly acceptable. I run an Athlon XP2400+ in my main box, and D00M 3 and FarCry run fine on it, although I'd get better frame rates if I updated my video card.

The CPU is important, but not the be all, end all. For FPS gaming, you want to make sure to invest some good money in a video card. You can get away with a not-so-blazing CPU (although you don't want to go with the slowest one you can get, as D00M 3 eats slower CPUs alive), but you will regret it if you want an enjoyable gaming experience.