AMD Cranks Out Chips; an NZXT case; 7900GT

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Big B, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Anandtech just popped this up about 90nm production between Fab 36 and Fab 38 and a 45nm test:

AMD's 45nm SRAM test wafer follows a little over 3 months after Intel demonstrated a similar 45nm test wafer. The benchmark when producing a wafer of SRAM is how small you're able to produce each SRAM cell. At 45nm Intel was able to achieve a 0.346 square micron SRAM cell size compared to AMD's 0.370 square micron SRAM cells. Intel's advantage in SRAM cell size is nothing new, as they have been doing so in previous process technologies as well. The advantage in SRAM cell size is one reason why you often see Intel more eager to equip its CPUs with larger L2 caches; obviously with no on-die memory controller, Intel also often benefits much more from a larger L2 cache than AMD in the first place.

Next, PC Perspective has NZXT's Lexa case for review. Personally, I think NZXT's cases are generally tacky, but the Lexa doesn't make me wish I was blind.

As can be imagined, the Lexa is loaded with features such as: ultra light weight aluminum chassis, front panel with blinding reflective metallic finish windowed side panel and all toped off with low noise 1100 RPM LED fans just to point out some of the obvious.

And, finally, T-Break takes MSI's GeForce 7900GT through the paces.

Besides the price, we also like the idea of a small HSF unit on the on the 7900GT. With nVidia’s move to 90nm technology we are introduced to smaller, cooler GPUs that consume lesser power and yet perform better than the previous generation. Kudos to nVidia for this as not only do they increase their profit margins by the smaller die, but the consumer ends up spending lesser power with lesser heat in their system- certainly a win-win situation.

Got enough reading material now?

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

The 7900GT, in my book is the best bang for the buck graphics-wise. It's usually quiet, cheap for a high end card, and better than the best cards of a few weeks ago. Now that's pretty nice for your $300.