AMD files 48 page complaint

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Addis, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Addis

Addis The King

AMD has filed an antitrust complaint against Intel, alleging all sorts of unsavoury practices, and judging that from the fact that it was filed in court rather than in a blog, I would guess AMD thinks it is illegal.

AMD has gone as far as to set up a web site about the complaint. I guess this means it is going to be a pretty public fight.

No punches are pulled. Pay close attention to the bullet points, some are really juicy. If you really want dry, read the complaint itself, it is 48 pages of legalese, guaranteed to put one to sleep. There will also be a press/analyst conference Tuesday morning, and more details are bound to emerge.

AMD said Intel engages in worldwide coercion of customers to stop them dealing with AMD.

The 48-page complaint says 38 companies have been victims of coercion by Intel – including names such as Sony, NEC, Compaq, Toshiba and Dell.

AMD chief, Hector Ruiz, said, "customers deserve freedom of choice and the benefits of innovation – and these are being stolen away in the microprocessor market." People from "Osaka to Frankfurt to Chicago pay the price in cash every day for Intel’s monopoly abuses," he complained.

AMD says Intel has paid Dell and Toshiba huge sums not to do business with AMD. It says Sony was paid "millions for exclusivity" and as a result AMD’s share of Sony’s business went from 23 percent in 2002 to 8% in 2003, down to 0% today.

It claimed Intel paid NEC several million dollars for caps on NEC's purchases from AMD. And it further complains that, when AMD succeeded in getting on the HP retail roadmap for mobile computers, "Intel responded by withholding HP’s fourth quarter 2004 rebate check and refusing to waive HP’s failure to achieve its targeted rebate goal".

It said that in 2000, then Compaq CEO Michael Capellas said that because of the volume of business given to AMD, "Intel withheld delivery of critical server chips. Capellas, says AMD, told the company "he had a gun to his head," and had to stop buying AMD.

Papers were filed with federal district court for the district of Delaware, under Section 2 of the Sherman Antitrust Act, Sections 4 and 16 of the Clayton Act, and the California Business and Professions Code, AMD said in a statement.

No matter what the outcome, this one is most assuredly going to provide as good a show as the Microsoft DOJ trial. Fights like this always get nasty quickly, and that means airing of all the industry dirty laundry. What you see today is the tip of the iceberg. Stay tuned, it is going to be a fun ride.

Heres the letter from Hector Ruiz.
    Heres the complain, 48 pages!

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

whoa damn. AMD's gonna give Intel the smackdown. YES! Rise Against!

3. Addis

Addis The King

Fight the power!
    I started reading it, to page 10 and it was full. Skipped to page 30 and it was still going.

4. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

After 2 hours of reading (i will read the rest when i get home) i have this to say, :good: Go AMD

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Before i read this artical i belived Intell to be the scum of the earth (along with micro$haft).

But, this was based on the simple idear that Intell where crushing AMD with supereroor marketing power.

Now i am aware of Intell$ illegal and unfair 'competition' and i CANNOT BELIEVE WHAT I'VE JUST READ!!!

I cant do alot to change anything, but i can do two things

1. spread that document to EVERY corner of the internet (as best as i can)

2. i am semi-frequently asked to build systems for friends, famaily, friends of friends etc (and once a v. small local bussiness) allthough i have never bought an Intell processor for ANY machine... i will refuse to even if it is demanded as part of there wanted spec, i WILL NOT support ANY Intel products on ANY LEVEL.

:swear: INTEL ~Evil Inside~

5. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Didnt bother reading any of it but go AMD!!

6. Addis

Addis The King

This is going to become big. Fair trading standards have clearly been breached.
    I don't have much against intel, I just like AMD thats all. I think that the products that Intel made were good in the 90s, not so into the P4s. I'm all for competition and good prices for consumers.

7. Impotence

Has anyone got the brains/knowledge to work out how much ££/$$ AMD are gona get? (if successful, i dont see how they wont be)

I really liek the fact that they are applying to get funds to increase there marketing level to what it SHOULD have been!

Any Intell fans got any comments about this? (im not trying to start a flame war!!! i just want i diffrent view on it)

8. Impotence

whats happening over this trial?

Has it taklen place? has a date been set? whats Intell said?

9. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Actually, based on illegal predatory monopolistic practices alone, Microsoft is much worse. MS & Intel are like the gruesome twosome; some call them "Wintel".

10. Addis

Addis The King

AMD isn't interested in the money, they want the people to know how Intel does business with its OEMs.

11. Impotence

They might be more interested in letting people know how intell deal with oems, but the money will still kick them 5 steps further than intell in marketing and design (or will at least help towards it)