AMD Mobo Help plz.

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by d0s, Aug 18, 2003.

1. d0s

d0s Geek Trainee

Hey I was wondering if anyone knows any mobo's with 6 slots for ddr ram. And allow AMD's Processors...

Any help would be great! Thanks

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Isn't 3 enough ?

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Unless you're willing to go to a dual Opteron motherboard, no.

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Hey sorry for the harsch answer, I'm pissed right now but that's not my job to show it to the other members.

I'll try and behave :good:

5. d0s

d0s Geek Trainee

Hey thanks for your replies,

Opteron motherboard..

Can you link me to a site or give me some examples on exactly what that is?

6. d0s

d0s Geek Trainee

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'll have to look. Most of the available Opteron motherboards currently available do not have AGP, and are aimed at the server market rather than workstation. I gotta look them up for some exact links, but RioWorks (http://www.rioworks.com/HDAMB.htm) does have a dual Opteron board with AGP. MSI has a dual opteron board based on the Via 8KT800 chipset, but it only has 4 DDR slots, though it does have AGP. Asus SK8N nForce 3 Pro 150 is the only single Opteron board available, but this again has only 4 DDR slots.

Right now the Opteron is a primarily a server-class CPU, and most of what you're gonna find in the way of server boards will have at least 6 DDR slots, but no AGP. Right now, the RioWorks board is the only one that fits your criteria. I'll have to look around, but it doesn't seem to be available in the US, according to Pricewatch

It's new technology and isn't targeted at the desktop. You're also looking at around $300-500 for a basic motherboard, and like $250 a pop for each CPU.

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

9. d0s

d0s Geek Trainee

Cool .. anyone know where I can purchase AMD Opteron Processors?

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

www.newegg.com

I know they sell them, and are one of the most reliable resellers on the web. The Tyan K8W board was just announced, and I don't think it's available yet. If you do find it, do yourself a big favor and check Reseller Ratings. You'll avoid getting hosed by some screwballs if you check them out first.