AMD news

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Addis, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Addis

Addis The King

Inquirer has that the FX-57 chip, the successor to AMD's current performance flagship model FX-55 will be arriving shortly in 2 weeks.

The new CPU will have a San Diego core (with SSE3) and will be fabricated with a 90nm SOI manufacturer process.
    Its clocked at 2.8GHz and rumours say that it will be overclockable to 3GHz or over with air cooling, possible more with more advanced.

AMD will also release a number of Sempron CPUs with AMD64 technology, to counter Intel's move to eqip its budget Celeron range with EM64T.

AMD is close to releasing a whole set of cut down Sempron microprocessors which will include iAMD 64 bit support.

That could be as early as the middle of July, according to people close to AMD's plans in Taiwan.

The E6 stepping will use socket 754 and if you want to you'll be able to overclock them to your heart's desire.

The same sources claim the 64-bit Semprons will be released at 2600+, 2800+, 3000+, 3100+ and 3300+ numbers.

Of these the last three will have AMD's Cool and Quiet technology. Nothing more than a simple BIOS update will be needed, it appears.

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Sounds good Addis, nice find. I'll be looking foward for a price drop on the 3700 939 this summer when I upgrade.

3. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

yea im gonna upgrade to the 3700+ from the 38, its cuz its clock speed is lower, but the cache and sse3 are in my opinion more valuable (and ill oc it past 2.4)

4. imipenem

imipenem Geek Trainee

I use a 939 3700+, nForce4 ultra mobo, 6800GT, 2GB RAM, and a 74GB Raptor as a CNC programmer. A co-worker has a 3500+ winchester in an identical setup and we notice no difference. Both are very stable, but we do not overclock.

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

That's understandable really, with that much ram and a super fast 'drive like that both systems will have no trouble at all executing the task at hand. You'd have to be crunching major amounts of data to see the 3700 win out.